Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner

Pan American S noisy on leans

4K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  newinertia 
#1 ·
Has anyone else noticed their PanAm getting a progressive louder noise the more it is leaned on curves , and even louder when it's loaded heavy? Thank's

#3 ·
It sounds like a loud sewing machine noise that is louder with bike leaned on curves. I have the on/off tires Harley puts on. Fluids are good in motor and chain is adjusted, guides, and lubed and wheel straight. The screaming eagle street cannon w/o db killer got exhaust sounding great , but this noise is still loud coming from center of bike. Maybe I'm gonna have to get used to it. C

#4 ·
I am afraid I never experienced anything like that and I never heard of anybody else reporting such an issue before (but I might be wrong).

My humble suggestion is to inform HD and, eventually, let one of their mechanics have a ride to confirm the issue.

I wouldn't ignore the issue nor get use to it. It might be something "serious" so, better investigate further.

Take care,
Alberto

#7 · (Edited)
Thank's, I hope it's not valve noise since it's self adjusting valves and I only have 1500 miles on it so far, but it was a thought in my head. My first thought was chain chatter, but but did a full adjustment/inspection/lube. I'll inspect brake and wheel next time it's on center stand.
I've noticed the noise is louder in 6th gear running around 65 or 70. I'm gonna go to Harley and test another new PanAm and see if I can duplicate problem and get someone to ride mine and evaluate it. Maybe they'll be honest.
I am surprised no one else is experiencing the sewing machine noise at lower level though because I noticed it right away while testing both PanAm's before choosing this one. I have had several Harley Davidson's and own a KLR650 but still noticed sound right off. And even read other people saying it was the reason one of the first upgrades was the exhaust. It's the same noice just at a what the heck level.

#10 ·
Chiedo a tutti voi se per caso avete notato una rumorosità troppo alta nel cambio di marcia.
La mia ritengo faccia un po' troppo rumore sia in innesto che in scalata della marcia. Grazie
Hi @MAO, if you post in Italian, just a few we'll be able to reply back to your questions.

Ciao @MAO, se posti in Italiano, solo pochi saranno in grado di rispondere alle Tue domande.

#13 ·
The moment you realize you bought the wrong Harley from the wrong Harley dealer.
After my friends riding my '22 PanAm with1800 miles on it, and riding beside me and a motorcycle mechanic all saying it has a mechanical roar at 65mph in 6th gear and worse leaned on curves. Harley Davidson dealership I bought it from just called and said 4 of us test drove it and we hear nothing, we documented the roar so if it tears up it's covered under warranty...
Solution; buy earplugs.. what the

#14 ·
The moment you realize you bought the wrong Harley from the wrong Harley dealer.
After my friends riding my '22 PanAm with1800 miles on it, and riding beside me and a motorcycle mechanic all saying it has a mechanical roar at 65mph in 6th gear and worse leaned on curves. Harley Davidson dealership I bought it from just called and said 4 of us test drove it and we hear nothing, we documented the roar so if it tears up it's covered under warranty...
Solution; buy earplugs.. what the
Unfortunately, this is it when you meet with unprofessional people... Think positive, you live in the States, you can move to another place and get assistance from others.

I live on an island, one single HD dealership... no choice!

#15 ·
Yes, you are right, and I've already been on the phone with them.
I told the owner I'm not going to write bad reviews on him and his dealership, but all the people that come up to me are going to know that he does not give a flip for the motorcycle's he sales or the people he sales them too, and everywhere I go guys ask about the motorcycle.

#16 ·
I just bought a '22 in G.I. Denim Green w/star I just rode in the same manner on a curvy road, heard the horrible whining,
came home and first goog search brought me to your post. Bike was picked up today new, 25 miles on odo, very loud whine from center of bike that intensifies when weaving back and forth in same lane. It is Very Loud, louder than engine!
Have you found a remedy yet?

#18 ·
You definitely made an outstanding call having them pick it up. I was stubborn about throwing it back at them. The more I rode my PanAm special the worse things got. I took it to another dealership that the owner has a PanAm that rode mine and heard enough of a noise they checked it out, but found nothing "external". Right about 3700 hundred miles everything went haywire. The every now and again not starting became 50 percent of time , ever right off trickle charger with a load tested battery. The modes options dissapeared. The ARH started working randomly. One stop it would be down all the way the next it would be past normal high, I'm 6'+ and couldn't touch. It started pumping out codes like it was on steroids, some of which had the motor knocking. So dealership I bought it from has had it 3 months and when I called about it said they were riding it and chasing down codes so they could get enough data (2 pages) ¿ , so Milwaukee will let them work on it. 5 months ago when I bought this motorcycle I was saying wow , now all the wow is because Harley Davidson is moving forward with a platform they cannot keep running.