Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner

Panamerica Saddlebags

13K views 44 replies 25 participants last post by  Hawkspring 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, lets list all saddlebags currently available for the Pan America. I think this could turn into a great resource for those in the market for one.

Feel free to share your experience with any bags you bought or checked out in person, along with any tips, advice and anything related you would like to add.

Here's some of what HD offers:
Sport luggage
SPORT LUGGAGE

Designed primarily for on-road touring, Sport Luggage offers a smooth aesthetic and presents a clean silhouette on the motorcycle. Mounts are designed for easy installation and removal of the luggage and leave a clean look when the luggage is removed. Each piece is waterproof and passes a rigorous Harley-Davidson

Aluminum Luggage
ALUMINUM LUGGAGE

Created in collaboration with SW-MOTECH for on- and off-road travel. Each piece has been designed and tested with the motorcycle to ensure factory-quality fit, durability and reliability, without compromising motorcycle handling or lean angle. Both the cases and the mounts have passed Harley-Davidson static tip-over tests. Each piece is waterproof and passes a rigorous Harley-Davidson® water-intrusion test. Available in Black or Clear Anodized finish

Adventure Soft Luggage
ADVENTURE SOFT LUGGAGE

Intended for the hardcore off-road rider. Designed specifically for motorcycle use, these durable bags resist damage if the bike tips over. The bag material is waterproof, exterior pockets have waterproof zippers, and the roll-top closure creates a weather-tight seal, so you can ride with confidence knowing that gear will stay dry n

See less See more
#35 ·
I have the same cases. I love the more streamlined looks as well as the easy removal. I am having custom covers made to protect them from the odd rock thrown and to prevent water intrusion. No problems but can't hurt to have some added protection. Wish the top case had a better pillion backrest. May get a custom made one as well.

#9 ·
BEAUTIFUL! What side mounts did you use? I don't think they work with the HD OEM side mounts. Love the bags but can't find the mounts. One rider suggests Touratech but my research skills failing me to find the right tubular mounts that fit the Pan America and work with Mosko. Love your set up.

#4 ·
I have the Harley Adventure Soft Luggage on my 2022 Pan Am and I WOULD NOT buy them again. Save your money and get the Mosko Moto bags (IF you're a soft bag fan). When I checked the prices, I believe the Mosko Moto bags are about twice as much as the Harley bags, but they fit much better. The Harley bags are well made and sturdy but they don't fit well (loose) and the straps going over the seat are not conducive to passengers. I'm not a hard luggage fan, I think they look ridiculous on a motorcycle...............just too big and wide, but that's my opinion.

#6 ·
If I was in the market for saddlebags, I would definitely get the Mosko Moto soft bags. Even though they are very expensive (too expensive in my opinion), they are well made. I live 1.5 hours from their “world headquarters” 😛

I realize I’m in the minority, but I prefer to not ride with saddlebags on my bikes. I have no problems loading everything I need in a trunk and a dry bag. Even for long trips. I just don’t like the added bulk, weight and width.

#7 · (Edited)
I like the "Sport luggage" hard saddle bags. They fit NICE, no extra mounting brackets to buy. They sit on the bike like it is and use the key that came with the bike. On and off in minute. Now, I would NOT use them for offroad. I imagine if you dropped the bike on them, they would break. For the "tail bag" you have to buy the metal mounting rack.. But you need that no matter what you choose. I rode around with a Pelican case bolted to it for months. When I was ready for the tail box, I ended up getting the aluminum box from Harley. I thought the "Sport luggage" tail box was fugly.Most of the time, if I'm off-road. I just use the tail box and my Klim backpack. Where I ride is pretty dense and the wide saddle bags (paniers) get in the way sometimes.

Oh, just an FYI, theres a tail box on Amazon made by some chinese knock-off company called "LASIEYO 45L" that is remarkably similar to the harley box and very nice.. I had it on my KLR650 and although the mounting was slightly different, I would bet I could have modded it to fit the Pan America in few minutes. I don't have the KLR or the box anymore or I would have tried.That box was like $240.00..

#14 ·
I have the HD Sport hard bags and they seem to work well. A bit of a PITA to key. I felt like a trainee locksmith trying to keep track of all the tumblers. The lock action is a bit more finicky than the BMW Varios from my previous bikes but seem well designed overall. The bags are pretty sturdy and fit the bike well with good storage.

I’ve had BMW Vario expandable hard cases 1200GS,1250GS), aluminum hardcases (1200GSA), other hard sport cases (1200 Multistrada), Wolfman soft cases, GL soft cases and Mosko Moto Rackless that I run mostly on my 890 Adventure r. There are some great options on luggage. I wouldn’t try to spin up manufacturing in this very competitive area on my own.

the PAS is primarily a road bike for me so the HD Sport bags work well for security, easy mount/dismount with reasonable space leaving a clean look to the bike mounted and with minimal hardware left on the bike when removed most similar to the Varios.

If I didn’t have the KTM and ran the Pan more off-road, I’d go with one of the soft options. Each option seems to have their advantages and disadvantages depending what you’re do with your bike but all that I’ve had were nicely constructed.

#15 ·
I have the HD Sport hard bags and they seem to work well. A bit of a PITA to key. I felt like a trainee locksmith trying to keep track of all the tumblers. The lock action is a bit more finicky than the BMW Varios from my previous bikes but seem well designed overall. The bags are pretty sturdy and fit the bike well with good storage.
Thanks. After learning so much from all of you...I think I'm taking the bike home without any additions except for the engine guard. Everything else after market or other brands you're using really does make sense. I've got a radiator guard, headlamp guard, muffler guard on their way. And getting side racks from one company and soft luggage from another. Debating Lonerider v Moskomoto. (perfect example of a good problem to have!)

#17 ·
I've been very happy with the SW/HD hard bags. The tour pack holds a full sized helmet with room for a jacket and gloves, the side bags are plenty large enough to carry extras (like a Helinox high back chair or a Scott fly rod) and they have lash points going both ways. It's a pain to have to unlock them every time and you do have to get off the bike to access them (unlike my RGS).

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

#20 ·
I am loving the V2H bags. A bit of a wait to get them but very affordable and I love the look.
wait wait wait... what is that? Very cool look. Villains 2 Heroes! Wow. Just to test have you put down a rug and laid down the bike? Great idea frames on the outside. Hmmm. Website has them sold out but $599 for side bags and racks seems a STEAL! Bravo.

#27 ·
I bet if you set the bike down on those racks (or you know a slow mo drop in a tricky slotted path)...the bike cannot lean over much and with the leverage you have using the rails to lift the bike with wheels as the fulcrum I bet there is less than 250 pounds to be dealt with. Ingenious really. Keep us posted how they (uh, you) perform! And definitely take pics before you, uh, pick it back up...and here's to me hoping you're covered in mud when you do it because....PAN AMERICA BABY!

#31 ·
having my bike dirtnap on me twice I think the lift assist provided by this bag frame will be a real benefit that may save me throwing my back out again next time.

I’m curious if this is going to fit properly with my Touratech top box installed too. Guess I’ll just have to find out myself.

contacted the gentleman and he replied quickly so I’m in the preorder now.

#30 ·
Ok, so this isn't a saddlebag per-se but it is handy. Its an "EDC box" from Wunderlich America... As I stated in an earlier post, the area I ride in is wooded and dense and traditional hard saddlebags make the bike a bit wide. This box just mounts on the left side. I use it in combination with my Harley top box and I have all the storage I need for a day in the woods or my commute to work. To me, it leaves the bike looking slim and sporty.

Dimensions:
  • Width: 325 mm (12.8 inches)
  • Depth: 105 mm (4.1 inches)
  • Height: 230 mm (9.0 inches)
  • Volume: 4.5 liters

Negatives:

1. You have to unbolt it (three bolts) to take it off, and it's in the way of using any other bags or cases. So you have to unbolt and remove it if you want to swap out.
2. Too damn expensive. Its over 300 bucks. I got mine for 199.00 with a coupon on promotion but it still seems a bit pricey.
3. Its small.. If it were 4" taller and 2" wider it would be much more useful.

Positives:

1. It's small-Perfect for "EDC" stuff. (Airmoto smart air pump, tire plug kit, All my tools crammed into a Maxpedition "Fatty Pack") I used to also keep my NOCO GB40 in it before I replaced my OEM battery with an Antigravity battery, but that's a different post. .
2. Looks pretty cool. (IMHO)
3. Tough, I actually think you could drop the bike on it (at low speeds of course) and it would be fine.
4. This is a stretch.. If you were to take the box off of its mounting bracket, the brackets could be used to mount a pelican case or one of those cool metal ammo boxes. That would look cool on one of those "Enthusiast Edition" green bikes.. Just a thought, LOL

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle

#39 ·
Hi, take a look at these panniers: "Viking Apex XL Motorcycle Side Cases for Harley Pan America RA1250/S Silver", I've installed the same panniers but in black which is currently out of stock. I bought them a couple of months ago and am satisfied with these panniers so far. I was initially drawn to these panniers due to their competitive prices. With a discount, I got them for $720 plus shipping. The current offer allows you to grab them for the same price, which I believe is a reasonable deal.