Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2022 Pan America Special
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Measured some battery stats after my slow starting and codes.
Fully charged battery at 12.7 vdc measured with battery disconnected
Connected battery shows 12vdc on the screen when powered on 14vdc when running
Measured parasitic draw, initially jumps to over an amp then quickly settles to .1 amp
I don't see that as an issue with draining the battery, at least in the 2-3 week range in moderate temps.
Leaving it off the tender and will monitor voltage.
Maybe these OEM batteries are just poor quality, or 210 CCA is just not enough for this High compression engine.

· Registered
37 Posts
Measured some battery stats after my slow starting and codes.
Fully charged battery at 12.7 vdc measured with battery disconnected
Connected battery shows 12vdc on the screen when powered on 14vdc when running
Measured parasitic draw, initially jumps to over an amp then quickly settles to .1 amp
I don't see that as an issue with draining the battery, at least in the 2-3 week range in moderate temps.
Leaving it off the tender and will monitor voltage.
Maybe these OEM batteries are just poor quality, or 210 CCA is just not enough for this High compression engine.
Sure that's not 0.1mA steady state drain rate?:unsure:

· Registered
2022 Pan America Special
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure that's not 0.1mA steady state drain rate?:unsure:
Could be, though from what I have researched most bikes do have a small current draw, either from the various ECU's or an alarm ect. Was just wondering why so many people report battery/ starting issues. And myself had a slow start with only off the tender for 2 days with a 7mo old battery. It is normally on a tender 24/7.

· Registered
37 Posts
I wonder about that too. One of the problems I've NOT had has been anything to do with the battery. (Now I've done it....) I intermittently (every week or two) use a tender for a day or so if I haven't took it for a ride.
Anyway, I believe the stock battery has a 12 A-hr capacity. With a drain rate of 0.1A, a fully charged battery would be exhausted after 120hrs...five days (even in the metric system 🎓)...and unable to start the bike sooner than that. Hard to believe HD would produce a design with such a pitiful design margin, which is why I questioned A vs mA, but given all the other problems this bike has had.....

· Registered
4 Posts
A lot of these bikes sat on floor without a tender. Not uncommon for these batteries to need to be replaced in first year. I had to do so with my 19 streetglide. Haven’t had any issues with my Pan, but it didn’t sit long.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts