Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner

Quick set up question

5K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  cabecadeferro 
#1 ·
What tire pressures are people running off road. I did my first fire road ride it was excellent.. but dam.. the little stutter\chatter bumps suck.. I know I will be lowering the pressure.. my dirt bikes run 12 to 15 psi depending on dirt.. but this bike is way heavier.. so thinking 20 maybe 25.. and if I do drop my pressure.. is there a way to change the tpms?

#5 ·
I understand the handling issue on the street, but in the dirt lower tire pressures make the bike handle wonderful.. and you don't feel every pebble in the road..I will def ask the dealer to program a lower pressure if that's the only way.. but I won't go to the dealer until something goes wrong. I do my own services and inspections.. funny but dealerships don't always do the best job on simple tasks like services... I trust me to take care of it better than them.. ps try the lower pressures.. maybe go to 30.. I gurantee it handles better in the dirt..

#6 ·
Be carefull, tubless tires do not have tire locks, and the tires may spin on the rim.
I would not go more than 6 to 8psi, and that makes a whole lot of difference.
When you hit the road its not that bad either, but remember before start carving those turns.

#7 ·
as a follow up I have tried multiple pressures,, the best being 25 rear 27 front, still holds the weight well and enough pressure i have not had any issues with pinch flats, huge difference offroad, and still ridable safely on road, I wouldn't test your max speed at that pressure but the bike handles well.. and that is with the Michelin anakee wilds. I have also used that pressure with the scorchers but think a little more would be better.. like 27 rear 30 front.

#9 ·
I have tried 10 psi in the dunes.. and the bike is unrideable on anything but deep sand at that psi.. I would say with this bike a minimum of 20 psi and at that your risking rim damage.. so like I said above.. 25 is good, I feel safe at that psi to not mess up my rims.. and get excellent traction and handling in the dirt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.