Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
2022 Pan America Special
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, has anyone been made aware of the official HD fix for this? I know there are a lot of home remedies, and blown hoses for that matter. Mine gets within 2-3 mm when hot and the fan is on- it starts out about 6mm away when cool. I want to take it to the dealer but it is always better to be well informed so you don't get the "they all do that" speech.1200 miles so far on the bike.

I used a #2 straight slot for reference on the width.
Plant Automotive design Vehicle Motor vehicle Car
Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wheel Automotive exhaust
Plant Automotive design Vehicle Motor vehicle Car
Automotive tire Grey Alloy wheel Synthetic rubber Automotive exterior
Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wheel Automotive exhaust

Automotive tire Grey Alloy wheel Synthetic rubber Automotive exterior

· Premium Member
2022 RA1250S
105 Posts
I have a 2022 RAS. After my first ride, I noticed a burning smell. The lower radiator hose was in direct contact with the front cylinder header. It left a quarter size melted divit in the hose. There was no leaking of fluid. To get home, I did the following.......
1. remove belly pan screws and only loosen forward screws on frame. This allows the pan to pivot down and forward.
2. remove the right side crash bar. 1/2" socket or wrench.
3. remove screws to separate plastic inner deflector. There are torx screw in the front and rear of this assembly.
4. Now you can see the radiator hose. Place a stainless hose clamp loosely on the hose at the bend.
5. using a razor blade, cut approximately 1/4" off the end of the hose while it is still attached with the factory clamp. Use the factory clamp as a guide. cut all the way around the hose.
6. Using a side cutter, cut the factory clamp off.
7. push the hose further on to the radiator now that you created the extra room.
8. tighten the clamp you installed. There will be minimal dripping of fluid if you are pre set with the clamp and the right tools.
9. re-assemble in reverse order.
10. Call your dealer and schedule a replacement hose.
11. drink good quality bourbon in the garage to sooth the pain of missing your bike while its in the shop.
Here is my earlier post / remedy that I wrote some time ago. I hope it helps.

· Registered
13 Posts
I watched my lower coolant hose change position from cold to hot from new. By the 1k service, the hose had blistered - never had made contact with the header. Dealer replaced the hose with a newer, slightly shorter one and I’m now at 7k and no repeat of the issue. I’d bet it’s down to a supplier item… I love this engine…(y)

· Registered
2022 Pan America Special
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I watched my lower coolant hose change position from cold to hot from new. By the 1k service, the hose had blistered - never had made contact with the header. Dealer replaced the hose with a newer, slightly shorter one and I’m now at 7k and no repeat of the issue. I’d bet it’s down to a supplier item… I love this engine…(y)
Yup, I love the engine also. In sport mode it just rips hard. I haven't even red lined it yet lol. Supplier issue sounds correct, I guess my hose will be blistering soon lol. Do you have the PN by any chance? Was it a new part/part number or just a correctly made original? And how much of a gap do you have from the pipe to the hose now? Sorry for all the questions but dealing with HD service has not been great for me in the past.
Thanks for the info.
Tom

· Registered
37 Posts
Mine didn't last 100 miles. The story I got was that it wasn't assembled correctly, though when I looked at it before the warranty repair it looked both aligned and pushed up against the stop per the service manual. The replacement hose when installed looked no different to my eye (and it was the same PN) as the one originally installed. Wrapped the hose in the are of concern with aluminum backed header insulation, tied it off with stainless wire ties, and it has been good for 5000 miles so far. The aluminum facing the header shows no signs of distress.
I would have preferred the fix Sq described above, but was informed a shorter hose would void the warranty. Editorial comment: 🖕

· Registered
2022 Pan America Special
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine didn't last 100 miles. The story I got was that it wasn't assembled correctly, though when I looked at it before the warranty repair it looked both aligned and pushed up against the stop per the service manual. The replacement hose when installed looked no different to my eye (and it was the same PN) as the one originally installed. Wrapped the hose in the are of concern with aluminum backed header insulation, tied it off with stainless wire ties, and it has been good for 5000 miles so far. The aluminum facing the header shows no signs of distress.
I would have preferred the fix Sq described above, but was informed a shorter hose would void the warranty. Editorial comment: 🖕
Got it, thanks for the info. I will see what the dealer has to say.

· Registered
24 Posts

M1558: 2021-2022 Pan America Lower Radiator Hose Routing
M15582022-08-16
Reason for Revision
Refer to Table 1.
Table 1. Document History
DATE​
REVISION DESCRIPTION​
2022-08-16Initial release
Purpose for Service Bulletin
This bulletin informs dealers that Harley-Davidson wants to raise awareness of proper lower radiator hose routing and installation.
Motorcycles Affected
2021-2022: RA1250 and RA1250S
Markets Affected
Worldwide.
Part Numbers
Refer to Table 2.
Table 2. Part Numbers
PART NO. AFFECTED​
ITEM DESCRIPTION​
26900295Lower Radiator Hose
Required Dealer Action
Table 3.
ACTION
REQUIRED​
RESOLUTION​
NO

YES
Non-Actionable:
This is for informational purposes only or a technical tip.​
NOTE
Lower coolant hose must have a minimum of 7 mm (9⁄32 in) clearance from front exhaust header.
For the most current electronic version of the Service Manual: https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com
1.See Figure 1. Route coolant hose (2) below starter (1).
2.See Figure 2. Install coolant hose. Make sure it is fully seated to hose connector (5).
3.Align positioning line (3) with alignment mark (4).
4.Install new clamp (1). Do not secure.
5.Align edge of clamp with vertical positioning line (3).
NOTE
Clamp must be positioned so that positioning line can be seen, however black hose cannot be seen between clamp and positioning line.
6.Center notch on clamp with horizontal positioning line (3) as shown. Secure hose.
Special Tool: HOSE CLAMP PLIERS (HD-41137)
7.See Figure 3. Install coolant hose. Make sure it is fully seated to radiator (5).
8.Align positioning line (3) with alignment mark (4).
9.Install new clamp (1). Do not secure.
10.Align edge of clamp with vertical positioning line (3).
NOTE
Clamp must be positioned so that positioning line can be seen, however black hose cannot be seen between clamp and positioning line.
11.Center notch on clamp with horizontal positioning line (3) as shown. Secure hose.

VIEW INTERACTIVE IMAGE
1Starter
2Lower coolant hose
Figure 1. Lower Coolant Hose Routing

VIEW INTERACTIVE IMAGE
1Clamp
2Hose
3Positioning line
4Alignment mark
5Hose connector
Figure 2. Lower Coolant Hose to Engine

VIEW INTERACTIVE IMAGE
1Clamp
2Hose
3Positioning line
4Alignment mark
5Radiator
Figure 3. Lower Coolant Hose to Radiator

· Registered
2022 Pan America Special
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

M1558: 2021-2022 Pan America Lower Radiator Hose Routing
M15582022-08-16
Reason for Revision
Refer to Table 1.
Table 1. Document History
DATE​
REVISION DESCRIPTION​
2022-08-16Initial release
Purpose for Service Bulletin
This bulletin informs dealers that Harley-Davidson wants to raise awareness of proper lower radiator hose routing and installation.
Motorcycles Affected
2021-2022: RA1250 and RA1250S
Markets Affected
Worldwide.
Part Numbers
Refer to Table 2.
Table 2. Part Numbers
PART NO. AFFECTED​
ITEM DESCRIPTION​
26900295Lower Radiator Hose
Required Dealer Action
Table 3.

ACTION
REQUIRED​
RESOLUTION​
NO

YES
Non-Actionable:
This is for informational purposes only or a technical tip.​

NOTE
Lower coolant hose must have a minimum of 7 mm (9⁄32 in) clearance from front exhaust header.
For the most current electronic version of the Service Manual: https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com
1.See Figure 1. Route coolant hose (2) below starter (1).
2.See Figure 2. Install coolant hose. Make sure it is fully seated to hose connector (5).
3.Align positioning line (3) with alignment mark (4).
4.Install new clamp (1). Do not secure.
5.Align edge of clamp with vertical positioning line (3).
NOTE
6.Center notch on clamp with horizontal positioning line (3) as shown. Secure hose.
7.See Figure 3. Install coolant hose. Make sure it is fully seated to radiator (5).
8.Align positioning line (3) with alignment mark (4).
9.Install new clamp (1). Do not secure.
10.Align edge of clamp with vertical positioning line (3).
NOTE
11.Center notch on clamp with horizontal positioning line (3) as shown. Secure hose.

VIEW INTERACTIVE IMAGE
1Starter
2Lower coolant hose
Figure 1. Lower Coolant Hose Routing

VIEW INTERACTIVE IMAGE
1Clamp
2Hose
3Positioning line
4Alignment mark
5Hose connector
Figure 2. Lower Coolant Hose to Engine

VIEW INTERACTIVE IMAGE
1Clamp
2Hose
3Positioning line
4Alignment mark
5Radiator
Figure 3. Lower Coolant Hose to Radiator
Thanks Stefano, I appreciate you taking the time to post that bulletin. If your ever in Orlando I owe you a pint or 2.
Looks to me like the alignment marks are to ensure the hose is routed properly and not twisted. So many good folks on this forum.
Cheers,
Tom

· Registered
24 Posts
Thanks Stefano, I appreciate you taking the time to post that bulletin. If your ever in Orlando I owe you a pint or 2.
Looks to me like the alignment marks are to ensure the hose is routed properly and not twisted. So many good folks on this forum.
Cheers,
Tom
when I come to orlando, I will be happy to drink a couple of beers with you.....or when you come to Rome....

· Registered
2022 Pan America Special
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL, we will be going to Italy in May, which includes a few days in Rome. We are history buffs and Italy has tons of history. And my wife is catholic so you know we have to the Basilica and the Vatican Museums.

· Registered
34 Posts
I'm getting ready to have a second hose replaced under warranty at 9,000 miles and 1 year. The hose has always seemed way to close for my comfort but doesn't seem to move under normal riding on mine, but as soon as I have gone off road on difficult terrain and the bike starts to heat up and run hot (250-265) on long slow climbs in 1st and 2nd gear, I start noticing the hose starting to move closer. After that it just continues to get worse even under normal riding conditions. It seems to me that the bike is running hotter than it should on those climbs and the heat is causing the hose to slip. Have not had any issues with the bike running hot under any other circumstances. When I had the first one replaced, I brought up what I was seeing and did get the factory answer that it was installed incorrectly at the factory, and they dismissed my concern. Going to be interesting to see what they say this time now that it had supposedly been installed correctly and I'm seeing the same exact issue again.

· Registered
2022 Pan America Special
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm getting ready to have a second hose replaced under warranty at 9,000 miles and 1 year. The hose has always seemed way to close for my comfort but doesn't seem to move under normal riding on mine, but as soon as I have gone off road on difficult terrain and the bike starts to heat up and run hot (250-265) on long slow climbs in 1st and 2nd gear, I start noticing the hose starting to move closer. After that it just continues to get worse even under normal riding conditions. It seems to me that the bike is running hotter than it should on those climbs and the heat is causing the hose to slip. Have not had any issues with the bike running hot under any other circumstances. When I had the first one replaced, I brought up what I was seeing and did get the factory answer that it was installed incorrectly at the factory, and they dismissed my concern. Going to be interesting to see what they say this time now that it had supposedly been installed correctly and I'm seeing the same exact issue again.
Hey ornrry, I think the hose is just expanding from the heat of the radiator fluid. 250 seems excessive. Is the fan coming on?
Also, I am mostly street and gravel roads and my temps never went over about 220, the fan kicks on around that temp.

· Registered
34 Posts
Yes, fan is on and under all other conditions it never gets hotter that around 220 also. It only runs that hot under hard slow climbs and it does it consistently under that condition. Have been paying attention to the hose since I bought the bike due to the known issue others were having. Hose seems to stay put and never move closer to the pipe until it heats up like I described, and then it stays an issue and wants to keep getting closer from that point on.

· Registered
24 Posts
LOL, we will be going to Italy in May, which includes a few days in Rome. We are history buffs and Italy has tons of history. And my wife is catholic so you know we have to the Basilica and the Vatican Museums.
Wonderful!!!
call me or whatsapp me when you will be in Rome !!

· Registered
142 Posts
The hose to header clearance was fine on my 21 Special from the factory. When the dealer replaced my headers (cracked heat shield mount) a few weeks ago under warranty, I noticed even more clearance with the new headers. I was told by the dealer that the pipes were a new part number so maybe a redesign in the bend, beside the redesign in the heat shield mount.

· Premium Member
2022 RA1250S
105 Posts
I am so glad to see that a factory bulletin was posted. Until now, we have all relied on experiences and advice from our members. While it was all good advice, it is nice to see the Motor Company has acknowledged some sort of remedy to a wide-reaching problem.
Ahhhh, the beauty of this forum!
Grazie mille per l'informazione.

· Registered
2022 Pan America Special
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hello all, I removed the right side crash bar and shroud so I could take a look at the position of the radiator hose. It was pushed up until the stop and aligned ok but the clamp is covering the vertical white line in step 10 above. I trimmed off about 3 mm of hose and pushed it farther on the radiator to gain more clearance-and it did not touch the radiator fins at the bottom. Let the bike idle up to operating temp and the hose slid back about the same amount I trimmed. It appears the placement of the clamp is critical and that the hose actually does slide back until it hits the stop/bulge on the radiator connector. Didn't think it was moving- just swelling up close to the header.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts