Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2022 Special with about 900 miles, took delivery almost two weeks ago. Two different times today bike would not start on first try, second try it would start but would be in Ride Mode Fault. It would run but have limited power. If i shut it off and wait about ten minutes it would start on first try and be normal again. Called the dealer and will be taking it in tomorrow and dropping it off…Frustrating! This is my 6th new Harley purchased and first one to go back to dealer for ANY issues. Just a little bit concerned.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Most errors are usually caused by the battery struggling to crank the beast over, Pulling the clutch in appears to make a difference since the starter motor doesn't have to spin the transmission too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had similar with 2021 Special. Seems not so uncommon and surprised it hasn’t been sorted with the second iteration.

Mine happened at petrol station recently. Only concern is if it happened after stalling in traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Most errors are usually caused by the battery struggling to crank the beast over, Pulling the clutch in appears to make a difference since the starter motor doesn't have to spin the transmission too.
+1. A charge to the battery and all issues gone!!.
In modern bikes, with too much electronics and small batteries is neccesary put in charge the battery each month or two at least. Good for electronics and good for battery life.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
+1. A charge to the battery and all issues gone!!.
In modern bikes, with too much electronics and small batteries is neccesary put in charge the battery each month or two at least. Good for electronics and good for battery life.
I think I will plug in the battery tender more often and see if that helps, thanks for your suggestion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update on my PAS: I took the bike to the dealer Saturday morning (July 2) to see if updating software would help. Still having starting issues, ride mode faults and even motor just dying occasionall. I was at the dealership for 7 hours, they did some updates. The service manager rode it less than a mile, came back and turned the bike off, cleared some codes and restarted to go for another ride. When he started it, the motor was running about 5000 RPMs and had no throttle control, so he turned it back off. For some reason the fuel gauge also stopped working. They spent a lot of time on the phone with HD but didn’t really get anywhere, so the bike is still there and they gave me a Heritage to ride home. I know most people are enjoying their bikes without issues but I am definitely losing confidence in mine. Kind of makes me want a much simpler machine without all the technology.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Update on my PAS: I took the bike to the dealer Saturday morning (July 2) to see if updating software would help. Still having starting issues, ride mode faults and even motor just dying occasionall. I was at the dealership for 7 hours, they did some updates. The service manager rode it less than a mile, came back and turned the bike off, cleared some codes and restarted to go for another ride. When he started it, the motor was running about 5000 RPMs and had no throttle control, so he turned it back off. For some reason the fuel gauge also stopped working. They spent a lot of time on the phone with HD but didn’t really get anywhere, so the bike is still there and they gave me a Heritage to ride home. I know most people are enjoying their bikes without issues but I am definitely losing confidence in mine. Kind of makes me want a much simpler machine without all the technology.
Hi @KanPAS,

I know what you feel, my PAS is one month today at the local HD dealer. Similar issues as yours, they're waiting for some spares to see if replacing them the errors will disappears but, they're not 100% sure this will help.
I wish I could get in touch with HD as well to let them know how much frustrating is to have a bike with all these issues while others, with the same bike, don't have any.

·
Registered
29 Posts
1 (800) 258-2464 HD Customer Care
Radiator hose, BCM fried, traction control inoperative due to unseated connector pin...bike has less than 400 miles. Pathetic.

·
Registered
19 Posts
same issue on my Pan America (only 170 Km). Starting issue, then engine running at 4000rpm with no throttle control. Now it is at the dealer....

·
Registered
19 Posts
The dealership called me today and said that HD is testing a new SW release that should fix the bug of the Limp Mode and revving.
But the new SW has not yet been completely tested, so it isn't releasable..... and the bike is not sure with the bug.
So I have to wait.......

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good news! Got the bike back this afternoon. Dealer updated everything and also replaced starter clutch friction gear assembly. The sevice manager said the replacement part had some differences from the original. I did see the old part but not the replacement to know what the differences are. Time will tell but so far everything is working properly. The motor starts first time every time and seems to be much more efficient at doing so. The dealership did a great job and I am hopeful that I can just enjoy riding without all the issues.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts