Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
2021 Deadwood (OD) Green PanAm, 2007 Pearl Yellow RK Custom
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
First, I already have HD Aux lights installed and plugged into power under seat. Think I might add some more lights to front/rear, GPS, power outlets (usb/cig adapter), etc and think I need something to help with install/power distribution, trying to keep wiring neat and not suck battery while off/not running.

I remember reading here some got/have ezcan but as I'm looking appears (like most things) there are several options and me being ME, I'm little confused as which one to get, if any.

While looking for a gps unit I found this. Oh and seems like garmin zumo is the recommended unit.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks ✌
OD

· Premium Member
2022 RA1250S
100 Posts
I have used the ROWE PDM60 on other bike projects.
1. The USB connection requires the use of a laptop. Easy to use, but must be done via the lap top so, adjustments on a trip away from home might prove to be dicey. (This includes diagnostics in the event of a component or mod failure).
It is half the price of the Garmin.
2. I have never seen the Garmin until you posted it. I like it......a lot. The interface for switching right on the touchscreen of the XT Navigator is super attractive. No additional switches attached to an already crowded handlebar cockpit. Change while on the go via the smartphone app seems like it makes more sense for those that do not run a XT navigator. I'm not impressed with the price. $500.00 seems rather expensive. One would have to have sufficient number of switched accessories in order to justify its purchase. If you are only running one or two items, it seems hard to justify the cost. However, if your intent is to make the cockpit of your PanAm resemble the cockpit of an F-22 fighter jet, then, perhaps you are on the right track.
In short, make a realistic assessment of what you really want to run and/ or may run in the future. Do you take long trips? Do you anticipate the need to adjust while away from the comfort of your home base garage?
Keeping wiring neat, color coded, and routed well makes for the best installations. If you spend the cash on and PDM, make sure to spend cash on good wire, connectors, and loom.
As for me, I'm a gadget guy. I want to dive even deeper into the Garmin unit and learn even more about it. Most importantly, will it trigger the heat seeking missiles and the 20mm cannon mounted to the front crash bar? I dunno. Must investigate.

· Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I to love electronic gadgets (killer home theater) but getting and installing on a bike is new to me, that's why I axed for help so I can make a more informed decision and hopefully buy decent solution and not a bunch of junk that's not needed.
thanks for the info and as much as I'd like a tomahawk it just outta my budget 😁.... also I'm air force vet, but never been in cockpit but have seen a grown man naked.
so think I'll stick with some lights, gps, aux power supplies(usb) and ????? In the future. I just watched a guy talking bout and comparing the rowe pdm and hex ezcan and denali can. Guess ezcan and denali are same thing hex makes it for denali. He did mention that bout pdm,(update, changes) done via computer and I believe the ezcan is bluetooth.

Yes the Garmin looks interesting especially if go with garmin gps but again they all are new to me.

Edit please share what you find out about garmin power switch.

Edit 2.0 watched video again and the rowe pdm has new product called amp link which has bluetooth!.
Also hex ezcan is coming out with and adapter to add more "lines/aux" to control instead of the four and a piece to plug into it so it'll have bluetooth.
The video is over a year old, July 2021 from abikething.

So I'm more confused than before but think I'm leaning towards the denali smartcan as I'll probably get most if not all lighting from them and on website it says you can program existing buttons to control things.

· Premium Member
2022 RA1250S
100 Posts
I think you are on the right track. If your intent is to go with primarily Denali lights, I would lean heavy towards the Denali CAN. Denali products are not cheap. They are among some of the best out there, and you get what you pay for.
Denali CAN controls allow you to designate factory buttons to accomplish several different switching options. This makes for a cleaner installation and allows to add components down the road.
Like any accessory manufacturer, I can only assume Denali will continue to build new products for the PA.

· Premium Member
98 Posts
I'm liking the Denali lights too. I'm happy with my RG set up primarily because of custom dynamics lights but for the PAS I do like that Denali went deep and hard right out of the gate. I am thinking about denali all the way. And as I'm Army all the way, I'm glad you went with the Olive Drab PA color. I'm sure they'll issue an Air Force blue eventually.... :)

Reactions: knoxone

· Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought someone mentioned ezcan on here but memory wasn't accurate, if you search there's several comments and a write up (nimda) installing them... Buddy got Denali on his beemer and he like them that's how I was introduced to them. So I'm pretty sure I'll go denali route, now trying to figure out what to purchase.

I actually enlisted when they were transitioning from OD to woodland, I didn't particular care for that color then but over last several years it's really grown on me and when I saw it in Aug 21 I knew that was my bike and I understand not everyone makes it into AF but that's why there's the other branches. :LOL:

· Premium Member
98 Posts
I actually enlisted when they were transitioning from OD to woodland, I didn't particular care for that color then but over last several years it's really grown on me and when I saw it in Aug 21 I knew that was my bike and I understand not everyone makes it into AF but that's why there's the other branches. :LOL:
Old school. My enlistment was during the cold war so Woodland was new and now everything else might look cool but I can only stick to woodland. As soon as I saw the GI Enthusiast color scheme, I stopped waffling about buying the bike. because HD was celebrating Army. I mean, not exactly. I mean, of course of course of course they wanted other branches to embrace it too. That yellow offset is a crayon color for the marines buying the bike. And, of course, the clean, crisp, badass OD Green clearly was designed to lure Air Force. (I have no data on navy, coast guard or space force) and of course of course, I'm not inviting any additional data to be shared here.

· Registered
2022 Pan America Special
40 Posts
Hi, Denali uses Ez Can as their controller. It’s cheaper from EZ can. I have one and it works great. I have 2 Clearwater Darla lights on one output, a Billie Brake lite on the other and my Garmin Zumo XT on the third. It has a max capacity of 30 amps. I can send pics if you want. You set the amp draw for each output based on need. It is a great way to control lights ect.

· Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes please send... I was pretty much gonna go the Denali route, Smartcan and lights and maybe (in future) the horn. But sounds like your set up is what Im basically looking for (plus adding a usb/cig charger for phone and ?????) sounds like that's my ticket and why I opened this post. Don't think I've heard of them, darla and billie.
Thanks

· Registered
2022 Pan America Special
40 Posts
Automotive tire Bicycle part Electrical wiring Computer hardware Audio equipment
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Rim Bumper
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle door Fixture
Vehicle registration plate Tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

First pic is EZ Can under seat.
Second pic is where I connected the Clearwater lights together( close to the triple tree) and ran one wire back for both of them.
Third pic is the wire harness ran along the side of the tank-was not going to pull the tank to hide the wires.
Forth pic is the Billie Brake light from Clearwater lights, I have it set to 3 of 10 setting and it will burn your retina lol.
Last pic is the Clearwater Darla light. This is the third bike I have installed these on. ClearwaterLights.com
If I did not already have the Clearwater lights I would have bought the Denali S4 with the wire pigtail only, as you can control the light with the EZ CAN. $250 pair.
I can HIGHLY recommend the Billie Brake light though( Clearwater Lights product)- dam bright- and not too expensive. I also have used police strobe lights as brake lights and they will burn your eyes too. Keeps people off your ass. $39 bucks.
The EZ CAN is a nice kit. Well made, comes with 4 wire harnesses extra pins ect.
As I said, one output to front lights, one to brake light, one powers a Zumo XT, one spare. You also have heated gear plugs you can use as power points.
EZ CAN power comes directly from the battery.
You can control the aux light brightness with the left switches. Brake light can strobe, and even light up on engine braking. I used some heat shrink and heat shrink solder connectors from Amazon-heat gun from Harbor freight.
Hope this helps,
Tom

· Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes definitely clears (no pun intended) :D up in my mind's eye on how/what to do...I already installed the HD daymakers before I went down this road.... now I need to figure out what I want actually how much I wanna spend.😁 thank you

· Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright, so I finally decided and went with the Denali Smartcan, T3 front bark buster kit, and T3 rear/brake kit. Ordered earlier today.

I'm thinking I might but the fronts on the black wind deflector that's just below shield in stead of on bark busters...for several reasons.

Thank you guys for input, comments, suggestions and photos.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts