Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
'22 PAS Vivid Black
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought by new '22 PAS on Saturday this past weekend. They had issues starting it there, but after 30min they "fixed it" and it was good to go. They chalked it up to a dead battery due to it being turned on often on the show floor. I leave, and a check engine light turns on. I go back in to the dealer and they say it's normal, will go away after the battery fully charges and it's ridden some.

I get the bike home, and go to ride it the next day. It won't start - voltage drops to 9V when trying to start it. It was on a tender the whole night. My garage is not normally heated, but I ran the diesel heater and got the temp up to around 60 in there(it is 30F outside) and when working on the bike it all of a sudden started fine. I rode it some, check engine light and nearly every section of diagnostic codes have codes active. none are historical. I rode it 60 miles, came back home, light and codes still there.

Next day, same issue. wont start cold, starts fine warm. I took it in the to dealer Tuesday morning, they replaced the battery, cleared codes, and told me it was fixed. I started it in the dealer lot, and check engine light was back on. Gave it back to them, they tell me a few hours later they phoned in to harley and harley is having them check 80+ connections along the wiring harness and ECU to see what's wrong. Apparently they can physically move the wiring harness and cause other codes to fire off, like the PINS are loose. Being told it will take a day or two to know what's next.

Sigh. Pretty bummed I can't ride it but I'm hopeful they will fix it. Hope it's not weeks and weeks.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues. If it’s going to take more than a few days I’d be tempted to ask for some sort of compensation. Go on about it ruining the experience of buying a new bike. Even point out some vouchers for accessories or merchandise would be nice.
If it’s going to be weeks I’d want assurances that your warranty will only start from the new collection date. Plus the vouchers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Years ago, several friends and I took a day trip to the Kansas City Assembly plant for a tour. At the time, they were building the sportster, dyna and V-rod models. (gives you an idea of just how long ago that was):rolleyes:
We were shown bikes that came off the line with 7 miles on them were actually road tested after assembly. This was part of the quality control at the factory. Several random bikes were pulled for inspection by a specialized team of inspectors. Further yet, a few bikes were pulled from the line and nearly completely disassembled. We were told this was to insure torque specs and general quality control was maintained. At the time, I was rather overwhelmed with the attention to detail.
All the Pan Americas are built (assembled) at the York , PA facility. I am a bit disheartened to hear of such woes so early on after delivery. If any of you have owned previous Harley models, you will note that dealers seem to be last on the list of service and continuing education when a new model comes out. I recall seasoned HD techs struggling when the V-rod came out.
Here in Wi, we would expect that our dealers have the most direct access to the factory over anyone else. Not so. Based on youtube alone, there appears to be several dealerships that know way more about the RA1250 than others. Many have produced videos on the specifics that are not even outlined in the owners manual.
Given the hype and publicity that the RA1250 has received world wide, I think they are on to something big. So big, there is no shortage of people ordering these bikes and it is not showing signs of slowing down. Was the demand so great that the assembly QA suffered? I don't know. Is it possible? I suppose so.
This forum alone allows for the greatest range of experiences of a very specific model. That's a good thing. The vastly different experiences on a specific model coming from the same assembly plant is probably not classified as 'good'.
All of us here who joined voluntarily have a responsibility to share our experiences and knowledge both good and bad. That is the point of the forum.
I'm so sorry to hear of situations like this. I hope that the kinks are worked out and posted so all can form their own opinions.

·
Registered
'22 PAS Vivid Black
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I heard back from the dealer today. They are having a new wiring harness overnighted to them, should have it tomorrow and we will know of that fixes it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Pan America is the only bike I've ever known of where "changing the wiring harness" seems to be a common fix... As someone who spent many years on the flight line fixing wiring problems on USAF aircraft, it strikes me as desperation and not really knowing what the problem is when I hear talk about changing wiring harnesses.

Mine wouldn't start today after filling it up at the gas station - push button and nothing happens. Finally started after 10 min and now has engine light on all the time. Maybe it needs a new wiring harness 😂

·
Registered
49 Posts
The Pan America is the only bike I've ever known of where "changing the wiring harness" seems to be a common fix... As someone who spent many years on the flight line fixing wiring problems on USAF aircraft, it strikes me as desperation and not really knowing what the problem is when I hear talk about changing wiring harnesses.

Mine wouldn't start today after filling it up at the gas station - push button and nothing happens. Finally started after 10 min and now has engine light on all the time. Maybe it needs a new wiring harness 😂
The dealers have a fix for the starting trouble. Just re-flash with latest software.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Years ago, several friends and I took a day trip to the Kansas City Assembly plant for a tour. At the time, they were building the sportster, dyna and V-rod models. (gives you an idea of just how long ago that was):rolleyes:
We were shown bikes that came off the line with 7 miles on them were actually road tested after assembly. This was part of the quality control at the factory. Several random bikes were pulled for inspection by a specialized team of inspectors. Further yet, a few bikes were pulled from the line and nearly completely disassembled. We were told this was to insure torque specs and general quality control was maintained. At the time, I was rather overwhelmed with the attention to detail.
All the Pan Americas are built (assembled) at the York , PA facility. I am a bit disheartened to hear of such woes so early on after delivery. If any of you have owned previous Harley models, you will note that dealers seem to be last on the list of service and continuing education when a new model comes out. I recall seasoned HD techs struggling when the V-rod came out.
Here in Wi, we would expect that our dealers have the most direct access to the factory over anyone else. Not so. Based on youtube alone, there appears to be several dealerships that know way more about the RA1250 than others. Many have produced videos on the specifics that are not even outlined in the owners manual.
Given the hype and publicity that the RA1250 has received world wide, I think they are on to something big. So big, there is no shortage of people ordering these bikes and it is not showing signs of slowing down. Was the demand so great that the assembly QA suffered? I don't know. Is it possible? I suppose so.
This forum alone allows for the greatest range of experiences of a very specific model. That's a good thing. The vastly different experiences on a specific model coming from the same assembly plant is probably not classified as 'good'.
All of us here who joined voluntarily have a responsibility to share our experiences and knowledge both good and bad. That is the point of the forum.
I'm so sorry to hear of situations like this. I hope that the kinks are worked out and posted so all can form their own opinions.
the dealer is the last to touch them also, certain parts have to go on after they get to the dealer, ( i had to move my wiring below to get the new skid plate on they had everything wired to the outside instead of routing it ) and everyone is right when they say most have no experience working on them yet ( dealer added a quart of oil to mine yesterday ) it wasnt low so now its on the stand im checking everything

·
Registered
'22 PAS Vivid Black
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update!
I got the bike back Thursday evening. It seems mostly fixed. I did have a warning triangle on the screen for a couple rides and a BCM diagnostic code, but it went away maybe 200 miles ago now. I keep starting it in the cold and once a day to see if it has starting issues like before and so far it does not, beyond a few false starts where it whines instead of turning over the first time. Trying to decide if I trust it enough for my camping trip to KY this week....

I am having fun with it though! Rode through a couple hundred miles of rain yesterday and it did well!

·
Registered
PAS RA1250S Deadwood Green Spokes & ARH
297 Posts
It's worth checking the battery terminal connections. Mine were covered in too much grease. I cleaned that off and retightened and since then the battery seems to hold a charge much better. It still sometimes fails to start first time every time, but as mentioned, I think there's a software update for that.

·
Registered
'22 PAS Vivid Black
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Aaaaaand it's messed up again. Would not start at all this morning, I tried about a dozen times over an hour. Then came back 3 hours later and it started, has a yellow warning triangle in the ride mode spot and wont let me select modes or ride faster than 20mph. tried starting it about a dozen more times, would not start then did with the same error light. Go to diagnostics screen, and it cannot retrieve diagnostics. This bike is so annoying. When it works it is great, but I cannot ride it anywhere for fear I will get stranded again. Back to the dealer it goes tomorrow.

·
Registered
2022 Pan America Special
10 Posts
Aaaaaand it's messed up again. Would not start at all this morning, I tried about a dozen times over an hour. Then came back 3 hours later and it started, has a yellow warning triangle in the ride mode spot and wont let me select modes or ride faster than 20mph. tried starting it about a dozen more times, would not start then did with the same error light. Go to diagnostics screen, and it cannot retrieve diagnostics. This bike is so annoying. When it works it is great, but I cannot ride it anywhere for fear I will get stranded again. Back to the dealer it goes tomorrow.
Anything from the dealer yet?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Are you keeping the bike on a tender? If the battery voltage gets low, and you try to start it, and one of the computers on the bike turns off you will get all kinds of weird errors ( ride mode not showing up is one of them ). When this happens you will have to shut the bike down and restart it. You may also have to clear out codes ( if it will let you get to them ) The Various systems on the bike do not seem to reestablish communication with each other after the initial start up9 from what I have seen ) . If something happens to one of the systems ( BCM, ECM, EHCU.... ) after the initial power up the best thing is to turn it off ad start over again.

For a tender I was told by Harley a 1.25A minimum and a 5A tender is preferred.

·
Registered
80 Posts
European bikes are built up in Thailand. It’s generally felt they seem less prone to construction issues.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.