Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Premium Member
22 PAS, 13 Dyna Wideglide, 2001 Honda XR650R, 2007 KDX 220, 1994 ATK 604 E
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who is running the Screaming eagle....pros/cons
And who's running the 2bros?....pros/cons..
Im still bone stock!!

· Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
AND!! if your running something different, lets hear it, pros/ cons!!

· Premium Member
2022 RA1250S
105 Posts
Well, my dear friend Rocket.......I hate to say this, but I too still run stock. I have been hesitant to change it simply for one thing....volume. As I get older, I can't seem to take the noise for any extended period of time. I wear a helmet and ear plugs for long distance trips, but the average around town trip, commuting, etc., seems to just get a helmet.
I've heard several of the aftermarket pipes on other PAs, while they certainly sound more like the performance of this awesome motor, I can't seem to wrap my head around listening to that on the highway for a long-distance gig.
I totally agree the stock pipe is not exactly going to win any fashion shows, but, it is quiet. I like my SENA system, with my road tunes, reduced wind noise from my helmet, and generally feel more relaxed at the end of a 500 mile day.
Do I think there are some performance gains to be had? Absolutely. I suspect even more as aftermarket developers make tunes that maximize the potential of this power plant.
I am super curious to see what you choose and what thoughts led you to that choice. Keep us all informed.

· Registered
78 Posts
Well, my dear friend Rocket.......I hate to say this, but I too still run stock. I have been hesitant to change it simply for one thing....volume. As I get older, I can't seem to take the noise for any extended period of time. I wear a helmet and ear plugs for long distance trips, but the average around town trip, commuting, etc., seems to just get a helmet.
I've heard several of the aftermarket pipes on other PAs, while they certainly sound more like the performance of this awesome motor, I can't seem to wrap my head around listening to that on the highway for a long-distance gig.
I totally agree the stock pipe is not exactly going to win any fashion shows, but, it is quiet. I like my SENA system, with my road tunes, reduced wind noise from my helmet, and generally feel more relaxed at the end of a 500 mile day.
Do I think there are some performance gains to be had? Absolutely. I suspect even more as aftermarket developers make tunes that maximize the potential of this power plant.
I am super curious to see what you choose and what thoughts led you to that choice. Keep us all informed.
I was talking with my local service manager about the SE exhaust, and there is minimal hp gain and though there is a little sound change, the noise level is close to the stock pipe. Regardless, I couldnt justify spending a grand on a single pipe. I see better money spent on other Items that I need more on my bike. Like lighting 😁 Just my 2 cents

· Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Love the pinstriping
I can't believe the stuff I see and hear on this forum!
When I was doing the Rad guard I was looking at the tank and thinking about pinstripes around the bar and shield.....

· Registered
84 Posts
I run the TBR Exhaust and love it. I get compliments on how it sounds from all types of riders. It probably is a little louder than most would like.

One item to note, I have been working with HD and TxDMV on a serious issue with my bike going in to limp mode and revving at 4k RPM. Very dangerous situation and HD sent a field engineer to my Dealership to work on my bike. They were able to reproduce the issue multiple times and tore the bike down to validate connections as well as replaced my TBR exhaust and then they could not reproduce the issue on the Dyno. They put the TBR Exhaust back on and again could not reproduce the issue. The Field engineer marked it up as the Exhaust being the issue. I feel this is a complete cop out and doing all of these things at the same time does not justify the output that it was the exhaust. Secondarily, there is another thread with bone stock bikes having the same issue.

Everyone should be aware of this as it seem HD is going to make any aftermarket parts the issue.

I am going to be reaching out to TBR to get their thoughts and they need to know HD is basically stating their product is a problem. Hopefully they will work with HD and debunk this.

· Registered
13 Posts
I'm running the Vance & Hines exhaust. My main concern was volume as I bought the Pan America to serve as a sport touring bike and didn't want to deafen my wife on the back. Initially I thought about getting a different exhaust but they either cost too much for what you get (the SE system) or they weren't yet available (the Fuel Moto system). Ultimately I chose the V&H because of cost, availability and the fact that it IS 50 state certified which means it had to pass stringent noise level testing and is legal even in California. Volume is kinda subjective but it has a really nice exhaust note which makes it more fun for me to ride. The wife hasn't complained about it so I suspect it is in the medium range in terms of loudness. As for gains I can't tell a difference. Any performance gains are probably in the upper RPM range and I've never once had the thing above 8K. I didn't even notice a difference when I installed the large SE air filter. The one thing i don't love about the V&H system is the look of the muffler. It reminds me of an insulated coffee mug.

· Registered
7 Posts
I bought the Akrapovic exhaust. I like the look and sound of it. Better than stock but no annoying either. I get a lot of compliments on the sound. If you decide to go with it though, the center pipe did not fit the stock header. I let Akrapovic know and they mentioned that this isn't a problem in Europe and they said that the US header diameter is larger. I had to get a muffler shop to reweld a piece to make it work. Looks great also

· Registered
19 Posts
I love my SE exhaust. Was the first accessory I purchased. Did not like the sewing machine sound of stock. Best thing is that it has a removable baffle. Want it a bit louder, remove. Want it quieter, more like stock, keep it in. My baffle has been out, and I love the sound of the v-twin going from 6,000rpms to 9,000. Really sounds great. But low rpms, not offensive at all. $1,000 is not cheap, but considering I spent 20K+, that made all the difference in looks and sound - for me.

· Registered
8 Posts
Great topic! Definitely lots of different options, and even more opinions lol. I'm still running stock pipes at the moment but hope to decide on an upgrade by March. Ive personally heard more positives about the SE, that definetely seems to be the go to aftermarket option from a lot of PA guys. One also to look at is the exhaust from Jekill and Hyde, still quite new to the US and a bit pricy, but very cool technology from Europe. I may have to bite the bullet after a few more months.

· Registered
37 Posts
hows the heat of this thing?
Don't notice it. Don't see any effect on HD's sport luggage..and have a few thousand miles on the bike with them installed. There's also a rubber-ish vibration dampener about the ID of the can's clamp. Nothing detrimental noted.
I don't ride 2-up so have nothing to offer there.

· Premium Member
17 Posts
Don't notice it. Don't see any effect on HD's sport luggage..and have a few thousand miles on the bike with them installed. There's also a rubber-ish vibration dampener about the ID of the can's clamp. Nothing detrimental noted.
I don't ride 2-up so have nothing to offer there.

If it isn't hotter than the stock one that's a plus. I am trying to cool it down. I am torn between 2 bro's and Toce at the moment. I just have a hard time spending that kind of money on SE.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts