Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Premium Member
107 Posts
I don't believe there's anyway to get the original look back. I've tried multiple dif polishes and compounds even shoe laced every spoke with scratch and swirl compound. looks better but not like they did when they were new.

· Registered
24 Posts
I am waiting to see what options could be done to alleviate the look of the spokes when they get that weathered untreated cheap metal look..LOL . I'm thinking anodizing. will keep an eye out and if i do this i will post pics of results and information on cost.

· Registered
2022 PAS
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am waiting to see what options could be done to alleviate the look of the spokes when they get that weathered untreated cheap metal look..LOL . I'm thinking anodizing. will keep an eye out and if i do this i will post pics of results and information on cost.
Intresting that could be the answer i imagine the cost will be different country to country but i would like to know thanx.

· Registered
68 Posts
Anodizing doesn't work on steel as it uses a stabilised oxidisation layer on the base metal (usually aluminium or titanium) to protect it. An oxidisation layer on steel would be called rust which we obviously don't want. It may be possible to have the spokes plated or better still replaced with some that are made of proper stainless steel, but either way the wheels will need to be rebuilt which is a costly remedy for what is primarily a cosmetic issue. I thought that according to H.D. the spokes are supposed to be stainless steel anyway, although "stainless" usually means resistant rather than proof so it can still tarnish over time.

· Premium Member
107 Posts
That looks like a version of S100 bare metal protectant. I should have applied that to the spokes on day 1 of ownership but ya know hind sights always 20/20. Living in Florida I'm frequently caught in rain storms and I'm not one to pull over and wait for it to pass. Pretty sure that is the cause of the rapid degrade of chrome plating on the spokes. I'm not near salt water or the ocean though.

· Registered
68 Posts
Stuff from Muc-Off is usually pretty good, you could also try ACF-50 which is used on airframes. I use a protectant from Scott Oil called FS365 and find it works well. One important thing with all of these is to avoid getting anywhere near the brakes with them. Also, not sure on availability outside of the U.K.

· Registered
2022 PAS
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Stuff from Muc-Off is usually pretty good, you could also try ACF-50 which is used on airframes. I use a protectant from Scott Oil called FS365 and find it works well. One important thing with all of these is to avoid getting anywhere near the brakes with them. Also, not sure on availability outside of the U.K.
Hello , ACF -50 not available here in Germany used to be when i served (NAFFI) , of course not contaminating the brakes is paramount i think i need a number of things and elbow grease cheers.

· Registered
14 Posts
Anodizing doesn't work on steel as it uses a stabilised oxidisation layer on the base metal (usually aluminium or titanium) to protect it. An oxidisation layer on steel would be called rust which we obviously don't want. It may be possible to have the spokes plated or better still replaced with some that are made of proper stainless steel, but either way the wheels will need to be rebuilt which is a costly remedy for what is primarily a cosmetic issue. I thought that according to H.D. the spokes are supposed to be stainless steel anyway, although "stainless" usually means resistant rather than proof so it can still tarnish over time.
I never wash my bike, simple

· Premium Member
2022 RA1250S
105 Posts
I've gotten great product advice over the years from forums where folks are super-honest about what they have tried for cleaning, protecting, lube, etc. As always, your mileage may vary.....
I bought the spoke wheels because I ride the same as what the tires are designed for 60/40 (pavement / off road) I tend to be a really good preventative maintenance guy, do most of my own repairs, and try to keep my stuff clean, but not obsessively clean.
Every trip i go on, I return with mud, grime, road grease, and occasionally some dead animal guts. I do a good job washing and inspecting for wear or damage along the way. However, cleaning each spoke to look the same way when I took delivery of the Gray Ghost...........no way. seems like wasted time away from riding. Its not a trailer queen, I ride the damn thing.

· Registered
2022 PAS
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've gotten great product advice over the years from forums where folks are super-honest about what they have tried for cleaning, protecting, lube, etc. As always, your mileage may vary.....
I bought the spoke wheels because I ride the same as what the tires are designed for 60/40 (pavement / off road) I tend to be a really good preventative maintenance guy, do most of my own repairs, and try to keep my stuff clean, but not obsessively clean.
Every trip i go on, I return with mud, grime, road grease, and occasionally some dead animal guts. I do a good job washing and inspecting for wear or damage along the way. However, cleaning each spoke to look the same way when I took delivery of the Gray Ghost...........no way. seems like wasted time away from riding. Its not a trailer queen, I ride the damn thing.
I thought i would get this kind of reaction mate i am no trailer queen and my Queen is dead god bless her just because i clean the bike and spokes does not mean i ride "the damn thing" i know you are all so hard in America now listen up this is why people get pissed of at Forums if you have nothing to contribute get a life and go and use a different forum .

· Premium Member
2022 RA1250S
105 Posts
I thought i would get this kind of reaction mate i am no trailer queen and my Queen is dead god bless her just because i clean the bike and spokes does not mean i ride "the damn thing" i know you are all so hard in America now listen up this is why people get pissed of at Forums if you have nothing to contribute get a life and go and use a different forum .
I'm sorry you were offended by the very last line of my statement. It was not meant to be. I was referring only to the type of riding I do and certainly not passing judgement on your initial question.
I'm also sorry for the loss of your beloved Queen. Keep Calm, carry on.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts