Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner

sport bag lock

6K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  107Heaven 
#1 ·
i got the sport bags with my 2021 panam installed the locks per specs on the web site , but the left bag when you go to push the lock in to release the side doesnt pop back up , replaced under warranty already new latch assembly does the same thing , any ideas
Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive mirror Motor vehicle

See less See more
#4 ·
i got the sport bags with my 2021 panam installed the locks per specs on the web site , but the left bag when you go to push the lock in to release the side doesnt pop back up , replaced under warranty already new latch assembly does the same thing , any ideas
I had to build my own lock (install tumblers, etc...) with the Sport Top Rack.

A possible issue would be the mounting of the tumbler barrel in to the case. When your key is inserted, is it lining up perfectly with the lettering on the case? If not, you may want to loosen the screw on the inside and twist it a little for alignment, if it is off, the catches in pic 2 here could be hanging up the springs.
Automotive tire Product Camera lens Grey Automotive wheel system

Another potential could be the tumblers are off by one count and it is catching when the button is pushed. Just a guess, but something to look at. You can pull the lock barrel out (carefully with your fingers covering the tumblers and springs as you pull it out) and run you finger around it with the key inserted, if you feel any one of the tumblers protruding or sunk in (we are talking a couple millimeters between tumblers) you may need the next size up or down. Mine was very finicky, it took me 3 tries overall to make it work smooth.

If you are not comfortable with messing with the tumblers, any dealer should be able to look at it under HD warranty as well as long as the lock was installed when you received it.

#21 ·
Anyone had any luck taking the lock tumbler out? I did my lockset myself, per the video on the HD site. I thought i had nailed it.. it was looking really good. Then i popped it in my side bag (with retention pin facing the right way) and its extremely hard to turn. I can get the case open but its very hard to get it to go between the latch and unlock positions. And it will not go into the full 'lock' position. I'm baffled to how it seems to have went well, yet it is turning so poorly. I'm hoping to be able to get the lockset out and retry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.