Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an...interesting...lock malfunction on the last day of a recently completed road trip.

Loading up the bike in the AM for the final day's ride, I had occasion to try to re-open a side case I had just loaded up. Turning the key 90 degrees clockwise and pushing down..the latch to remove the case from the bike popped up!!! While admittedly operating at a caffeine deficit...I did realize this was a WTF?? Some further fiddling with the lock resulted in the entire lock cylinder separating from the case. Fortunately all of the springs and most of the tumblers were retained in the cylinder. In an uncommon lucid thought, I realized that said caffeine deficit and all the small lock cylinder parts did not bode well for an immediate field repair..and since the case was securely mounted to the bike and locked...I decided to troubleshoot the problem once getting home. Subsequently I was able to reassemble the lock, re-install it, and its currently functional. What happened?

Since I don't have a clear understanding of how the mechanism works, my theory is based on comparing how the locks perform in both side cases. On the case that didn't have the problem the lock pops back up effortlessly after pushing down to open the case. On the case that had the problem, it requires some jiggling for it to pop back up. My thoughts are that I operated the case's various functions over the course of the road trip with the lock still depressed..and that eventually screwed things up. I've been operating the lock since the repair repeatedly...ensuring the lock pops back up...without incident.

Wish I had a better explanation...but if anyone else is having similar experiences it could keep a road trip from turning into something unpleasant.

· Registered
142 Posts
The same thing happened to my side case about two weeks ago. Except now the cylinder comes out with the key every time unless you hold your finger on it. The lock cylinders were keyed by the dealer when I bought the cases. All I know was the mechanic that worked on the bike apologized saying he screwed up, this was the first one he did. Parts are on order to fix what is broken inside, I only have to wait a month for them. The instruction sheet tells you to grease the lock cylinder when installing in the case and mine didn't have any.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The same thing happened to my side case about two weeks ago. Except now the cylinder comes out with the key every time unless you hold your finger on it. The lock cylinders were keyed by the dealer when I bought the cases. All I know was the mechanic that worked on the bike apologized saying he screwed up, this was the first one he did. Parts are on order to fix what is broken inside, I only have to wait a month for them. The instruction sheet tells you to grease the lock cylinder when installing in the case and mine didn't have any.
The assembly grease was the only reason the springs and most of the tumblers were retained in my lock cylinder.
I'm curious about the replacement parts. Are they for the lock cylinder? Thx

· Registered
142 Posts
I believe the replacement parts are for the case itself that the cylinder clicks into that are messed up. The lock that broke was very hard to turn and press down, the other case the lock is easy to turn and press down. I hope the parts come soon and I will let you know what they replaced.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts