Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the S without ARH. When new, upon turning on the ignition the bike would always drop to minimum preload and then gradually pump up to normal ride height. At 450 miles on a 150 mile trip I noticed the ride height was very low and when I stopped I could flat foot either side. eventually the bike started to pump back during riding to a normal height.

Today, I’ve noticed that the bike no longer drops to minimum preload at ignition on, it stays with about 50mm of preload movement on the rear spring. I’m flummoxed, for a supposed automatic system, mine just seems random.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the S without ARH. When new, upon turning on the ignition the bike would always drop to minimum preload and then gradually pump up to normal ride height. At 450 miles on a 150 mile trip I noticed the ride height was very low and when I stopped I could flat foot either side. eventually the bike started to pump back during riding to a normal height.

Today, I’ve noticed that the bike no longer drops to minimum preload at ignition on, it stays with about 50mm of preload movement on the rear spring. I’m flummoxed, for a supposed automatic system, mine just seems random.
Thanks very much Patkin you've now got me worried 😉 That is meant to be a light hearted comment but I am worried.
I,ve just been out to my garage ,the bike is on the centre stand and no movement whatsoever. Is that because its on the centre stand. When I have been riding the flashing suspension light does come on so I have only assumed it is working correctly. Mines the PAS by the way.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much Patkin you've now got me worried 😉 That is meant to be a light hearted comment but I am worried.
I,ve just been out to my garage ,the bike is on the centre stand and no movement whatsoever. Is that because its on the centre stand. When I have been riding the flashing suspension light does come on so I have only assumed it is working correctly. Mines the PAS by the way.
Your bike has ARH? In any case, the suspension preload is not changed with the bike idle, there is no pump. As you ride the bike, the shock movement pumps up pressure. If too much preload, a valve opens to reduce it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update on this post, my bike still doesn’t change the preload in any noticeable way. Been through first service, nobody knows how this setup is supposed to behave. Most info I’ve got so far was from Showa who seem to be developing a similar system for the aftermarket.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts