Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner

Strange suspension behaviour

10K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Stainless Steel Provider 
#1 ·
I have the S without ARH. When new, upon turning on the ignition the bike would always drop to minimum preload and then gradually pump up to normal ride height. At 450 miles on a 150 mile trip I noticed the ride height was very low and when I stopped I could flat foot either side. eventually the bike started to pump back during riding to a normal height.

Today, I’ve noticed that the bike no longer drops to minimum preload at ignition on, it stays with about 50mm of preload movement on the rear spring. I’m flummoxed, for a supposed automatic system, mine just seems random.

#2 ·
Thanks very much Patkin you've now got me worried 😉 That is meant to be a light hearted comment but I am worried.
I,ve just been out to my garage ,the bike is on the centre stand and no movement whatsoever. Is that because its on the centre stand. When I have been riding the flashing suspension light does come on so I have only assumed it is working correctly. Mines the PAS by the way.

#5 ·
Update on this post, my bike still doesn’t change the preload in any noticeable way. Been through first service, nobody knows how this setup is supposed to behave. Most info I’ve got so far was from Showa who seem to be developing a similar system for the aftermarket.

#9 ·
MY bike is NON ARH, please bear in mind as you read the following.

Update: I have asked my dealer to formally approach the moco for details of the rear suspension behaviour under normal working conditions. my preload on the rear shock is fixed, there is no change whether i'm solo or whether i'm packing rider and pillion. when solo i'm on tip toes, with pillion I can flat foot and drivers flash me because my headlight is in the air. The whole idea here is to always ensure the correct amount of rider sag, the bike should more or less remain level regardless of load, all controlled by varying the preload on the spring to compensate for increasing rider loadings.

In the load settings menu, there is Auto which i'm guessing takes care of rider sag automatically depending upon the load. then as an alternative you can manually select Rider, Rider and luggage, Rider and Pillion, Rider and Pillion with luggage. as far as im concerned, each scenario should add a bit more preload. Mindful of the fact this bike has no pump to change the preload settings, it should happen as you ride off, gradually pumping up to the correct ride height. {My multistrada has a pump, you can see the bike rear end moving up and down at a standstill as you select different loads.

When i first got my bike, standing at its side and at each switching on of the ignition, the bike would sense it was carrying too much preload (Based upon the previous ride} and release pressure from the shock, lowering the bike. As I rode away it would jack up the preload to compensate for the rider weight. Now nothing ever seems to change, it seems fixed at one preload whatever settings I select from the load menu.

#11 ·
I have ARH and the option to adjust preload as per to payload isn't avaliable. I take it adjusts automatically. I've not carried a pillion yet and don't have the lugagge yet either, so nothing to compare with directly. It's also worth noting as an aside that the max payload of a Pan America Special is around 215kg with alloy wheels and around 201kg for the spoked wheels.

Can only suggest you take your bike to the dealer and ask them to check it out?

#17 ·
Just an update just incase someone is searching on this issue.
Bought my 2022 Special on June 17 2022. Was told all recalls and updates were checked and done.HAHAHA

I looked at that connector deal that Knobbin showed. My suspension was acting weird at times. No codes. Sure enough connector was wired wrong. Its been stated that the Stealerships is supposed to check that when updating and at the 1000 mile check up. Want to bet. Harley techs are saying that 80% of the PA's are wired wrong.
I fixed it myself being a Car dealer tech. for years. Now the ARH acts like its supposed to and its pretty cool. I use the custom setting B ride mode and have it with a slight delay. When i come to a stop a few seconds later it lowers. Im 6' 1" so the lowering i really dont need but at 20k if i paid for it i want it to work.
BTW wife is 5'1"

#19 ·
My new 2 week old bike is just a surprise box. Today the suspension would not go down and there is a yellow triangle on the top left side of the screen. Rode the bike for one hour, stop for gaz . Restart the bike and suspension going down !! Last week, the shifter became inoperable, can’t shift up or down it is like the shifter on not active . The bike got stuck in second gear for a few minutes and then was normal . I kept riding and then stuck in 6 th gear , it won’t downshift . ??My dealer has no idea what is going on and say the never seen this problem ..

#23 ·
I had something similar happen where the suspension was up high at cold startup.
I've only had it happen once, and I think it was just because of cold temperature. It was very cold and the bike had been sitting a few days.
After a few miles it went to normal & hasn't happened again even with the cold.

#22 ·
Check the Heim rod's connection between the gear shift lever and transmission for evidence of interference with neighboring stuff and/or something out of whack with the adjustment mechanism (Lock nut loose, not free to rotate, etc.)
Wheel Crankset Automotive tire Bicycle part Motor vehicle

#24 ·
I’m experiencing issues like mentioned previously. Last Fall I had suspension error and bike stuck at full height. Mine is a 21 Special with ARH and 10+K miles. I rode several places and many start cycles but no change. The next day it was fine again. Fast forward a couple months and now this is occurring with increasing frequency. Nearly every 3rd ride now. Went to the Stealer Friday riding home from work and the tech there had nothing to offer. Said he’s only worked on this model twice.
I’m within 3 hours ride of York PA and had my bike serviced there once and found the service guys there much more knowledgeable about this bike. I guess I need to take it there again.
I’m curious about how many others are experiencing the same issues. Is it truly cold related? If so why didn’t it happen last winter?
has something aged out?
Lots of questions, too few answers is frustrating.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.