Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner

Tail Light Question

8K views 39 replies 17 participants last post by  TN_Squirrel 
#1 ·
I was looking at my Pan America the other night while it was idling on it's side stand, and noticed for the first time that the two (what I thought were) tail lights don't actually light up when running. Evidently they are merely turn signal indicators?

The red tail light on the Pan America is very small - TINY - and tucked up behind the passenger seat, and my trunk box, and NOT very noticeable. And as someone who's been rear-ended on motorcycles, more than once, this is a BIG concern of mine. Does anyone else think this lack of lighting is an odd oversight by H-D? My Road Glide has a similar lighting layout on it's rear fender, and the two turn signal lights are always on, glowing BRIGHT RED, and only blink when activated by the turn signal switch.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

See less See more
#2 ·
I am definitely not a fan of the rear lights. My Sportster and probably most of the cruisers have both lamps illuminated (dual filament bulbs) until they turn into stop or turn signals. I'm currently saving up for a duo of the denali lights to mount up higher. Either on my top case or side cases if wiring is easy enough. I shudder to think what I look like from behind every night when I'm riding home on the highway.

#8 ·

#24 ·
Installed yesterday, and so far, so good. Didn't want to remove rear rack, so tapped into the rear signals under the rear fender. Rest was done under the seat. Thanks to drifter for pointing out the rear brake connector, which in hindsight should have been obvious. Tapped only into the Brake + wire. Then connected the grey and black to switched + and - (from the seat heater accessory cord, also used for front LED headlight supplements) Didn't use connectors supplied from Hyperlites, but used butt splicers and heat shrink wrap to give it a more secure connection. I may relocate them, so I left enough excess wiring, but I prefer minimal wire visibility.

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Plant
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle
Tire Automotive tail & brake light Wheel Automotive lighting Vehicle

#28 ·
The ezCAN and the cansmart are the same thing. Both designed and build by hex innovate. Stephan the owner used to post on here but I’ve not seen anything from him in awhile. There is a thread detailing what I fitted and how I fitted it on here somewhere. Ended up with two ezCAN’sl front DRL and indicators, front spot lights and the rear DRL,brake and indicators. Works well and far more visible from the front and back.

Love the functionality and ease of fitting / programming of the ezCAN’s. They might not be cheap, but I don’t think I’d go with any other accessories manger now.

#29 ·
I have used police led lights on many bikes. The ones I use are 40 bucks each and have very long range visibility. Crazy adjustable flash patters and so bright they will burn your retina. Never been pulled over for using them. Very low amp draw too. Google search will provide many sources but I get mine from StrobesnMore and buy the house brand. Just only use amber or red, never blue ect.

#30 ·
I have the Denali switchback turn signals front and rear. Went with these because of the rear turn signals being run/stop/turn and the factory brake light not being as noticeable as I would have liked. Both front and rear give the bike a much more updated look versus looking like every other harley turn signal out there.

#31 ·
Some of it was covered already, here my positive experience on the aux lights from Denali.

Ordered the Pan America T3 and B6 aux lights incl. the plug&play connectors. Order details and some pics included. Took me (medium skilled) about 3 hrs to install it.

Rear light is easy with routing it through the already existing ring sealed opening below the passenger seat where you find the connector.

T3 front turn signal connectors are in the front below the tank and take a bit of flexibility on your fingers to unplug the existing ones, insert the new Y-connector from Denali and re-connect the existing one and the new one. Need to drill through the hand guards and route it along the existing cables and use short black cable ties to make it all nice and tidy.

Both work fantastic and not too difficult. You are seen much easier on the road and a great enhancement to the existing lights. Last step is to get the HD aux lights - but that I leave to a technician.

Lights from Denali were ordered in Aug, got delivered (late) in Oct.
Jaw Automotive tire Font Automotive lighting Screenshot

Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motorcycle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood
Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive tire

#38 ·
I love these side lic plate lights by Denali. I think thats my first lighting buy. I'm really disappointed that Custom Dynamics has shunned the PA world, i ran those on all my HD's. They turn stock lights into smart LED's that are bright brake/running/directional lights. Looks like these Denali's do the same, and they are made for the PA so i'll run them!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.