Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after being on the market for most of this year the Pan America has shaken up the ADV world as HD enters this new niche. I was apprehensive at the start, as I was looking to upgrade to an ADV bike and the thought of HD being a top competitor was not on my radar. I basically was only looking at the R1200GS/1250GSA. After speaking to my dealer and seeing one in person I was soon becoming a believer. I did my research and soon put a deposit on an incoming PAS.

As I continued to research and dig deep to find those good reviews that spoke about the good/bad/and should haves, I am now getting cold feet about purchasing a '21 model. So the questions:

As a current/former PAS owner is a '21 model worth it? Or should I/we wait till the '22/23/24 models when the common issues have been fixed/mitigated?

OR, are the issues more singular and a majority of owners are issue free?

Are there former GS owners who absolutely love the PAS over the GS or do you have buyers remorse (or already returned and got back on a GS)?

My concerns
(based on others posts here and youtube reviews):
Battery
Random codes and HD techs not knowing what to do (mainly because this is a new bike so they wont have the expereince of working on them)
Lack of aftermarket options (though this can be mitigated in the next year ... but as a consumer do I really want to wait?)
Plastic "grab rails" on the rear (why plastic? To me, this is a design flaw considering other big makers have a metal rail)
BAckordered HD accessories (who knows when these will get filled and be regulary availabe)

My likes of the bike:
The Price*** AS this would be my first ADV bike, it would not brake the bank (sort of)
Less overall maintenance and costs (BMW is great but there A LOT of maintenance costs that serious owners reveal... but again if the bike is in and out fo the shop for codes the PAS will have the same sort of costs)
Seems like a better daily driver than a GSA
More HD Dealers/service depos than BMW nationwide
The look is unique and original

I am definitely a brand loyalist so moving away from HD tugs at heart strings but I want to be realistic about this type of bike and have the right expectations for the first few thousand miles

Thanks for any feedback

·
Registered
10 Posts
So after being on the market for most of this year the Pan America has shaken up the ADV world as HD enters this new niche. I was apprehensive at the start, as I was looking to upgrade to an ADV bike and the thought of HD being a top competitor was not on my radar. I basically was only looking at the R1200GS/1250GSA. After speaking to my dealer and seeing one in person I was soon becoming a believer. I did my research and soon put a deposit on an incoming PAS.

As I continued to research and dig deep to find those good reviews that spoke about the good/bad/and should haves, I am now getting cold feet about purchasing a '21 model. So the questions:

As a current/former PAS owner is a '21 model worth it? Or should I/we wait till the '22/23/24 models when the common issues have been fixed/mitigated?

OR, are the issues more singular and a majority of owners are issue free?

Are there former GS owners who absolutely love the PAS over the GS or do you have buyers remorse (or already returned and got back on a GS)?

My concerns
(based on others posts here and youtube reviews):
Battery
Random codes and HD techs not knowing what to do (mainly because this is a new bike so they wont have the expereince of working on them)
Lack of aftermarket options (though this can be mitigated in the next year ... but as a consumer do I really want to wait?)
Plastic "grab rails" on the rear (why plastic? To me, this is a design flaw considering other big makers have a metal rail)
BAckordered HD accessories (who knows when these will get filled and be regulary availabe)

My likes of the bike:
The Price*** AS this would be my first ADV bike, it would not brake the bank (sort of)
Less overall maintenance and costs (BMW is great but there A LOT of maintenance costs that serious owners reveal... but again if the bike is in and out fo the shop for codes the PAS will have the same sort of costs)
Seems like a better daily driver than a GSA
More HD Dealers/service depos than BMW nationwide
The look is unique and original

I am definitely a brand loyalist so moving away from HD tugs at heart strings but I want to be realistic about this type of bike and have the right expectations for the first few thousand miles

Thanks for any feedback
I love the bike. I have 3000 miles and no issues. I traded my bmw k1600 for this and no regrets. The plastic handles are strange, thinking of making something myself. Anyway, if you can wait, I'm site the 22s will be more refined. I'm hoping for quick shifter. I do miss that about the bmw k1600. Anyway, hope it all works out

·
Registered
6 Posts
I too thought I'd never buy a first year bike. Then I found out that the '22 will not come with spoked wheels, they gave my a REALLY good trade in on my Road Glide, and I have three dealers in this city, so I figured I'd just do it. No regrets, but I do worry about the battery. It seems to be down after sitting for two weeks. And you are right, the short front fender and the plastic grab rails are downright irresponsible on Harley's part.

The weather here is downright miserable, but when I can get out I will get the latest software update that may or may not fix the battery issue. If not, aftermarket battery. I'm considering Holan cases because they replace that stupid plastic hand rail, and I'm sure there will be a front fender replacement option next year, or I'll just fabricate a mudflap.

It would seem that the Moco has always operated that way and the Harley cult following has always just accepted it. Problem with the design? There's and aftermarket fix. Not that I agree with that philosophy, but I guess every bike has it's problems and for every problem there's a solution. Or in this case, because it's so new, there will be one next year.

The internet makes it more scary than it should be because you only hear from the people who aren't happy. Posts are repeated, copied, cross-posted, then haters chime in (if you hate Harley and this bike, WHY are you part of a forum??). I think if you add up the people with real problems you might find that it's a small percentage when you consider the thousands of Pan Americas all over the world that are out there. Smaller yet when you consider a bad dealer or posted before the software updates, or general self-inflicted issues. That's not to say some people don't have a legitimate beef, just that there are a few that make small issues seem like the end of the world.

Whether it's worth it is up to you. To me and the hundreds of other people who love the bike, it was totally worth it. So far, anyway. IMO it's more fun than the GS and more comfortable than the KTM 1290. Ask me again next fall after 6,000 miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here’s my take on it as it’s just anyones guess as to changes for next year. With regards to updates for the 2022 model, I am very comfortable assuming the only change will be colors. HD is not going to have new hardware changes like a quick shifter, updated infotainment center, metal grab rails, or basically anything changed other than perhaps software. Production for 2022s is already underway, there has been zero leaked information about major changes other than colors.
Having owned multiple Harley’s, including first year models, the only changes second year were to address significant issues. For instance, when the M8 was introduced the first year there were significant issues related to the oil pump and wet sumping/oil starvation which is why there have been at least 4 revisions for the oil pump in the 5 year run of the M8 motors. Talking with multiple dealers and techs, the Revolution Max and Pan America has actually been a very reliable first year roll out. I know others may feel different, but the amount of catastrophic failures for the Rev Max motor have been very, very limited. Of course nearly every one of those owners with a major failure has made it known online or posted up a YouTube video, but what about the thousands and thousands of owners who are completely satisfied and simply have no online presence or bother to post about how great the bike is??? That’s just the reality, this has been an unbelievably successful first year launch for a new model.

For the folks who are complaining that there is no aftermarket parts yet or that accessories are out of stock…..you do realize we are going through an unprecedented global supply chain issue right? It’s hard to get just about anything right now.

Motorcycle parts and accessories are probably pretty low on supply chain importance right now in general. Of course there is going to be little to no aftermarket parts available, the bike was released during an unprecedented supply chain crisis. Comparing availability of parts to models or other brands that have been out for years is just simply not realistic. Of course an owner of a GSA has more options for parts….the bike has been in production for years.

So the question, if one is wanting to wait till every electrical bug or parts availability for the PA is worked out….you might have to wait till 2023 or 2024 model year. Harley is not going to have major updates on year-2 production.

·
Registered
Pan America Spezial
100 Posts
Here is a happy guy with the PAS, no regrets.
I traded it in for a Street Glide 2014. Good deal.
So fare there is no problem with my PAS. The only thing was some DTC faults. Thats it.
I would have a problem when a mechanical problem would be on the Bike, but it is more less software.
plug in the usb and it is fixed (hopefully).

All the features some people kind of missing for example Quickshifter is not really important.
The Bike works, as it leaves the factory, perfect. A lot of different features can be purchased in the aftermarket
to built it to your desire.

Buy 2021,2022,2023... i think they getting more expensive the longer you wait.
See the global market Chips and Containers... and other things causes the price and deliverytime increase.
The other side, there is a run on the PAS and it will be sold out verry quickly.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I feel the issues are normal with first year vehicles. The fact that they did offer me the 5 Year extended Warranty which, believe it or not, included the Tire and Wheel package on my laced wheels helped me take the leap of faith. I was not planning to buy an unknown until this option was presented and the MFG takes the responsibility of correcting any issues.

Aside from the first year, I strongly suggest anyone buying subsequent years buy the extended warranty as well. This bike is very dependent on the Electronics and while the motor will be proven (or not) in the next versions, it is still not a norm for most HD Service Departments and having the warranty guarantees their potential misses as well (i.e. not filling the Anti-Freeze before letting the bike roll off the floor).

·
Registered
2021 Deadwood (OD) Green PanAm, 2007 Pearl Yellow RK Custom
104 Posts
Thoughts: Wished they made it sooner and all the BS in the world wasn't happening! But it's here and ones in my garage. Could it been designed/built better? [[Building and mass producing a bike, especially one like this will not "fit", "satisfy" or make everyone happy, it does me tho!]] Oh I suppose they could have but I'm just a schleprock in indiana and can say the one I have, I love riding it.

Concerns: No luggage but I'm not going anywhere soon as it is November and rut is on. And it's November can't ride on a regular for several months. [[ In other words, I'm saying sarcastically, I Do Not have any concerns]] Think I gotta sell my dust collector, aka RK.😢

Reality: Who hasn't had some type of issues? (don't care what it is) think even candy has had some sort of recall and yes a bad or defective item will make it to the customer. Just hope it's few and far between and not me.😁

Is it worth it: Very subjective (like the seat or heat)😁 but as I've said, I LOVE my PA, glad I own one and hope and pray (for many more years) it makes me smile as it has the first 2k of riding! For that matter, anyone who rides be it PA, GS, KTM, etc! ✌[[ Notice I did not say either way what anyone else should do. Just giving my honest opinion and answers concerning MY experiences on MY PA since August 12th and ~2k happy, happy, happy miles!]]

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have no regrets here in U.K. some of the stuff you read about, I think is because people do not take their time to understand what they have bought, I came from a Roadglide ultra most of my riding is two up, seat is fine for both of us up to four riding, who goes beyond that non stop?? No luggage well H-D buy aftermarket and brand it, you can get aftermarket in a couple of weeks, I had a skid plate sent from camel in Canada within a week so it can be done, does it matter if it's not Harley No as long as it does the job. This bike is more utility than bling, so I treat as such.

Oh no issues here with codes etc... I have even dropped it upside in the dirts... started first time three scratches on the skid plate nothing anywhere else so seems durable as well. I think prices will go up in 2022. But it's your choice don't be swayed by all these reviews and complaints ask yourself can they be trusted??

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you can find a 2021 with the options you want, I'd say "Buy It!". Like you, I was a bit late to purchase, but found one with options I wanted in September - - although it was 2,000 miles away. My guess, even with the few bad owner experiences is: 1) No significant changes between 2021 and 2022 (like etout00 stated), and any electronic upgrades from year 1 to 2 will be covered by warranty. 2) Every brand of motorcycles has issues, whether year 1 or year 25 - - plenty of frustrated BMW owners out there, trust me. 3) The maintenance schedule is better (less demanding) than the Pan America's peer competitors, and since you are in the U.S., the Harley dealer network is more robust than BMW, KTM, Triumph, etc. - - and the Harley techs will get up to speed, especially as the Motor Company puts this engine in more Harley models (e.g. Sportster S). 4) Yep, delay on accessories, but where there is a vacuum, others will step up to fill it. Got my Camel ADV skid plate arriving tomorrow - made in Alberta, vice Taiwan, just as, if not more robust, and cheaper. HepcoBecker makes great bags, will Touratech be far behind, doubtful. . ., you get the idea. 5) My guess, based on the success of this model, is the price will only increase as the model years continue. . . still would not pay over MSRP, but glad I got mine when I did.

Absolutely no regrets. GLWP.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I too thought I'd never buy a first year bike. Then I found out that the '22 will not come with spoked wheels, they gave my a REALLY good trade in on my Road Glide, and I have three dealers in this city, so I figured I'd just do it. No regrets, but I do worry about the battery. It seems to be down after sitting for two weeks. And you are right, the short front fender and the plastic grab rails are downright irresponsible on Harley's part.
Wait, what?! No spoked wheels for 2022??? What are they thinking?!?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wait, what?! No spoked wheels for 2022??? What are they thinking?!?
There are, don't panic. It's an option available for the PA Special
The only change that's known so far is colors (which doesn't mean they won't reveal more minor changes in Jan). The orange-white is gone, and that's a pity, but pretty much expected, so if you have the orange one you're in the "first year" club.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts