Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be loading the Pan Am in the toyhauler at the end of the month for a Gulf Coast RV trip. Looking for input on how to strap it down securely and properly for the suspension.

When I strap in the Fatboy, I loop my tank straps around the fork posts where the fenders mount for the front and the lower frame in the back and it is very secure with no suspension loading. This does not look like and option with the Pan Am and I am curious what others have done.

I will roll it in to a self standing wheel chock and then strap it down, but where is the best place for the straps.

Registered
2021 Deadwood (OD) Green PanAm, 2007 Pearl Yellow RK Custom
I am going to be loading the Pan Am in the toyhauler at the end of the month for a Gulf Coast RV trip. Looking for input on how to strap it down securely and properly for the suspension.

When I strap in the Fatboy, I loop my tank straps around the fork posts where the fenders mount for the front and the lower frame in the back and it is very secure with no suspension loading. This does not look like and option with the Pan Am and I am curious what others have done.

I will roll it in to a self standing wheel chock and then strap it down, but where is the best place for the straps.
I by no means an expert on strapping/securing loads. But I utilized the engine guards and frame in rear. Pic under deadwood green thread. I loaded by myself and went ~30 miles, didn't hurry and made it home. I probably should have gone more of an angle down and lower on guards but again it was me and trailer had limited places to strap to. Repeat, I am not a transporter but did stay at holiday inn last night.馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I like how you tied it horizontally, eliminates some load off the forks. I thought about using the guards as well, but I would need to go straight down to the floor in the RV.

The rear points you used should work, but I haven't looked at the mounting to get sense of how solid that area is.

This will be a 6 hour trip with no visibility of the bike so I definitely want to make sure it would not cut loose.

Registered
It's been couple days since then but you got me thinking, seems like one side on front (engine guard) slipped a tad since tubings smooth but was still taught. I checked after couple miles on bumpy road. I'd say loop thru where the engine guard tubing connects to each other so strap can't slip up/down. Rear should be great place, I mean holds my heavy a$$ and obviously don't overly crank strap where it's bout to bust.馃榿 Between lighter weight of bike a four point connection should be good. But I'm not bonded, insured, or guarantee anything in this or previous messages.馃榿 Hopefully all goes well and have a great and memorable trip.

Registered

Look in the owners manual about towing or transporting the bike, there are things that need to be done to disable the ARH and alarm.

Registered
True, that slipped my mind, I did put mine in transport mode.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts