Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Pan America Spezial
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the alps on the stilfzer Joch. It has around 40-50 Sharp curves a u-turn like.
In those coner it was not easy to handle the steering on my PAS
Reason was the tight steering damper.

Automotive tire Tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

So.... Solve the Problem by remove that shim
Tire Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

He is clambed with a white shim
Hand Automotive tire Motorcycle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

.... showed in the middle of the Picture above. It is still on its original place.
With a torx 25 and 40 it is easy to remove that thing.

So now i turn easyer....

Attachments

·
Registered
H-D PAS RA1250S Deadwood Green Spokes & ARH
63 Posts
I'm all for tweaking stuff - I don't even run standard 36-42psi tyre pressures, but does part of you not think that plastic washer was there for a reason and why should you have been required to remove it, were it not there because it needs to be there? Have you run this by your supplying H-D dealer as an issue, for example?

·
Registered
Pan America Spezial
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right, it is there 4 a reason.
The reason is that a steering damper should help to controll the steering at high speed.
But off road or U turn your at low speed. In this case the washer increases the friction of the steering damper and so it is hard to move the steering.
HD could have solved it by assembling a steering damper with some kind of adjustment.
My Dealer has a guy on hand Biker Jo he want to make 100000 km in a year on the PAS .He removed the shim too 4 the reason above

Have a look.

Nevertheless it is only an idea for modification on the PAS . It is not a must do.
It helped me in my way of riding and Roads.

Keep allways the rubber down and the head up;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have rode mountain switchbacks, maybe not as tight as those, but I honestly don't recall tight turn issues in the mountains or balance turning. Do what works for you, but I need that stablizer for my 70-80 MPH runs on the highway to my riding destination.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great video! Thoroughly enjoyed the entire production - - mentioned in another post that my wife and I spent a week + in the Alps in August - - Austria, Italy, Switzerland. . . It was epic, thanks for again for sharing. . .
Ride safe,
Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts