Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have 22 PAS - purchased July 7th 2022. Only 3200km on it. Had problems before I took it in for its first service, the revving at 4000rpm, not starting etc. The dealer rolled back software, seemed to work for a while, then it had black screen when turning it on a few times, enter PIN number screen came up a few times. Both solved by walking away, waiting then starting it again. Then ARH stopped working. Then had warning lights on quite regularly and when it rebooted the screen mid ride I told the dealer to take it back until sorted. I got it back a week later, new battery, everything checked updated, double checked - all working well. The next day, today - a saturday and its a beautiful sunny winter day - absolutely perfect for a ride......gear up and head off down the road and the engine dies. WTF. My question is - has anyone who is having problems - actually had them resolved 100%? Or is this going to be an ongoing unwinnable battle? thanks for any advice - feeling very very discouraged, disappointed and angry.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi, I have 22 PAS - purchased July 7th 2022. Only 3200km on it. Had problems before I took it in for its first service, the revving at 4000rpm, not starting etc. The dealer rolled back software, seemed to work for a while, then it had black screen when turning it on a few times, enter PIN number screen came up a few times. Both solved by walking away, waiting then starting it again. Then ARH stopped working. Then had warning lights on quite regularly and when it rebooted the screen mid ride I told the dealer to take it back until sorted. I got it back a week later, new battery, everything checked updated, double checked - all working well. The next day, today - a saturday and its a beautiful sunny winter day - absolutely perfect for a ride......gear up and head off down the road and the engine dies. WTF. My question is - has anyone who is having problems - actually had them resolved 100%? Or is this going to be an ongoing unwinnable battle? thanks for any advice - feeling very very discouraged, disappointed and angry.
Hi @K8DVL_22,

you'll find on the forum plenty groups/discussions about this kind of problems. Problems I got myself.

About the bike switching off, ask your dealer to replace the right side command buttons (the unit where the on/off switch is). It might work and solve at least this issue.

Another thing you could ask to be replace is the BCM... but this is less important.

Brgds,
Alberto

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had a blank screen problem which wasn't intermittent at around 150 miles. BCM replacement solved the problem with the bike at 3500 miles currently.
Same with the radiator hose replacement at 100 miles, though I've added thermal insulation which seems to be holding up ok. I'm skeptical this will hold up long term.
The sport case locking mechanism acted up during the last day of a recent road trip. Ultimately the locking cylinder (containing the tumblers/springs) pulled out of the bag completely. Fortunately, all the springs and most of the tumblers were retained due to the assembly grease...and once I got home was able to reinstall the cylinder and open the bag.
The TPMS widget has also disappeared during said trip.
At this point my major issues with keeping the bike running appear to be solved, but it continues to present niggly issues which continue to need addressing.
Too bad..the bike's a joy to ride.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi @leroysch,

except the locking cylinder pulling out, I experienced all the other issues you reported.

About the radiator hose, my suggestion is to ask your mechanic (HD?), next time you will need to replace the coolant, to cut the pipe 1 or 1 1/2 centimetres so to keep it far away from the exhaust pipe. My original hose was melting, I asked HD to replace it and they adopted this solution, no matter the warm weather here, the hose seems to be OK after more than 3K kilometres (my PAS actually has more than 18K).
The TPMS widget disappears every time, while switching on the bike, the system cannot connect with the valves transmitters... unfortunately you need to add it back manually, on the positive side, it's not happening so often!

Cheers,
Alberto

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi @leroysch,

except the locking cylinder pulling out, I experienced all the other issues you reported.

About the radiator hose, my suggestion is to ask your mechanic (HD?), next time you will need to replace the coolant, to cut the pipe 1 or 1 1/2 centimetres so to keep it far away from the exhaust pipe. My original hose was melting, I asked HD to replace it and they adopted this solution, no matter the warm weather here, the hose seems to be OK after more than 3K kilometres (my PAS actually has more than 18K).
The TPMS widget disappears every time, while switching on the bike, the system cannot connect with the valves transmitters... unfortunately you need to add it back manually, on the positive side, it's not happening so often!

Cheers,
Alberto
Thanks Alberto....I was aware of...and favored....the hose shortening solution at the time of warranty replacement. The dealership reported HD HQ insisted it would void the warranty. I'm using the aluminized, sticky backed header wrap on the radiator hose mentioned elsewhere on this forum. The adhesive, understandably so, couldn't take the heat so I've used stainless steel tie wraps to keep it in place..being careful to wrap the hose with this material about its circumference so the tie wraps wouldn't introduce their own failure mode.
So far...I've seen no evidence the wrap is degrading...mainly the lack of any discoloration of the aluminum closest to the header.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks Alberto....I was aware of...and favored....the hose shortening solution at the time of warranty replacement. The dealership reported HD HQ insisted it would void the warranty. I'm using the aluminized, sticky backed header wrap on the radiator hose mentioned elsewhere on this forum. The adhesive, understandably so, couldn't take the heat so I've used stainless steel tie wraps to keep it in place..being careful to wrap the hose with this material about its circumference so the tie wraps wouldn't introduce their own failure mode.
So far...I've seen no evidence the wrap is degrading...mainly the lack of any discoloration of the aluminum closest to the header.
My local HD garage didn't want to go for this solution, I mean the heating shield, and they didn't mention any warranty's void when cutting the radiator hose. I think I'll stick with it even because, after thousands kilometres, the pipe is still in excellent conditions with no melting whatsoever.

What are you going to do with the switch offs? What your dealer is willing to do about it? Are you going to ask them to replace the parts I told you about yesterday?

Alberto

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not going to do anything at the moment...including taking it to the dealer...until the summer/fall road trip line up is completed. Bike is running fine at the moment and don't want any software updates or anything else "fixed" that could alter that.

·
Premium Member
2021 Baja Orange / White Pan America Special
128 Posts
I had a multitude of these issues the day of the accident (but weren't the cause). Yellow icon, frozen dash, also wouldn't rev over 4000 rpm. It died on me once. Of course is was in the middle of nowhere trying to get back when the ooops happened. Bike will be taking its issues to the grave with it..... 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
100 Posts
The other day I was riding back home from office. After more than 80 kilometres, uphill, suddenly, the PAS lost power. I looked at the dashboard and Limp Mode was on.

As usual, another multitude of warnings were on but the bike didn't switch off.

I stopped on the side, switched off the bike, waited for about 5 minutes and when I switched it on again, the yellow engine light was on but no errors at all on the diagnostics.

The engine light was still on the next day but then, in the evening, was gone.

No Comment!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Alberto,
my bike is now at the dealer for the 1.600 km check.
After the SW downgrade, made in july, I hade only minor issues (some yellow tringle, some switch-off of engine - but only at minimum RPMimmediately after the start).
I have some question for you: do you were in Sport Mode or in Road mode when the bike went in Limp Mode?
you say that you looked at the dashboard and Limp Mode was ON; Limp Mode is visible on the dashboard? there is an alarm? When in July mi bike went in Limp Mode I didn't see any specific alarm.
Thanks.
Stefano

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have some question for you: do you were in Sport Mode or in Road mode when the bike went in Limp Mode?
you say that you looked at the dashboard and Limp Mode was ON; Limp Mode is visible on the dashboard? there is an alarm? When in July mi bike went in Limp Mode I didn't see any specific alarm.
Thanks.
Stefano
I realize you weren't asking me but I had a similar experience. Mine was in standard highway mode when it happened. I know that because I always ride that mode when I commute to work.

I don't remember specific faults but it seems like a lot of extra lights were on. I was more concerned with cycling the ignition and getting it cleared since I was in traffic.

ARH still faults all the time but the shutting down and limp mode issues seem to be taken care of after the second replacement of the right hand control module.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi Alberto,
my bike is now at the dealer for the 1.600 km check.
After the SW downgrade, made in july, I hade only minor issues (some yellow tringle, some switch-off of engine - but only at minimum RPMimmediately after the start).
Thanks.
Stefano
Hi @stefano.gigli.1962,

I use Custom mode A, a mix of sport and road settings. Limp mode is visible on the dashboard, right in the middle of it a Limp Mode warning appears and several warnings are switched on as well.

Take care,
Alberto

·
Registered
18 Posts
I realize you weren't asking me but I had a similar experience. Mine was in standard highway mode when it happened. I know that because I always ride that mode when I commute to work.

I don't remember specific faults but it seems like a lot of extra lights were on. I was more concerned with cycling the ignition and getting it cleared since I was in traffic.

ARH still faults all the time but the shutting down and limp mode issues seem to be taken care of after the second replacement of the right hand control module.

Thanks Greg.
I have a standard PAN and I am happy to have less electronic and SW......
Hope HD will be able to stabilize the situation

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone had there 22PA shut down while riding like the kill switch was hit? I was riding the canyons and bike died without any cautions while in Mid turn like the kill switch h was hit. No check engine no cautions. Did not see if there was any DTC.
No but I’ve hit the engine off switch 3 times this week trying to adjust audio. First time I panicked as I was in heavy traffic and didn’t realize what had happened. After that just moved switch, pulled clutch and started engine while at speed.

·
Registered
100 Posts
No but I’ve hit the engine off switch 3 times this week trying to adjust audio. First time I panicked as I was in heavy traffic and didn’t realize what had happened. After that just moved switch, pulled clutch and started engine while at speed.
Hi @shady656,

you did exactly what I do when the bike is switching off to me. If the speed is enough I pull the clutch and start again without stopping; if at low speed, I move to the side, switch off and on again after a couple of minutes.

About the roundabouts, it happened once to me too, heavy traffic, bike off, bad place to be... The roundabout was a fast speed one so, I simply switched it on again.

My suggestion, go back to the dealer and tell them the bike is an hazard for your life... they have to replace the parts that could cause this.

Take care,
Alberto

21 - 37 of 37 Posts