Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Was in a HD dealer today and saw a PA in the flesh for the first time - Loved it!
I've always liked HDs but I'm not really the right shape to be comfortable on any. I was in a dealers today which is BMW upstairs and HD downstairs. I was looking at the BMs and finished what I was up to and just thought I'd look at some of the lovely shiny new HD metal on the way out.
Saw the Pan America - I think it looks lovely. Hopefully going to test ride next Saturday.
I'm cautious about the number of new bike niggles I'm reading about but hoping these all soon resolved.
Has anybody moved from a 1250GS to a PA? I'm just wondering on your thoughts as to the comparison.
I'm looking forward to spending the rest of tonight reading through all the old posts on this forum :)
Thanks
Shrewsred

·
Registered
2021 Deadwood (OD) Green PanAm, 2007 Pearl Yellow RK Custom
104 Posts
I can not comment on your question as the PA is my first adv bike and never owned any other bikes, minus dirt bikes way back when. Since you're reading you'll see what I haveta say.

Good luck on your quest and may the bike you choose works out and gives you plenty o happy miles!

·
Registered
Pan America Spezial
100 Posts
Hello and wellcome here.
I moved a BMW GS to the french alps, i rented it because my Street Glide was at repair. A friend had at this turn a Street Glide. He tryed to come closer at any Pass, but I put a little bit more efford I going up the pass. He got lost.😉
So in September I was with the PAS at the Stilfzer Joch. The same Situation, a regular HD was not able to come closer.
Sport modus ...
and it climbed as a goat.
I talked to other BMW bikers who switched to PAS. They say it is even.
In our alps there is Like 99,95% 😉 BMW on the passes, so more and more GS rider want to change to some rare Bike.
About the price is PAS cheaper than a GS. You have to see that HD has a lot of Features as Standard, at BMW the Bike comes nacked and you have to buy a lot of Features on top.
Read all that stuff here and make your dessicion.
Good luck.
Cloud Sky Plant Mountain Natural landscape

Stilfzer Joch....😄👍😄👍😄👍

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello and wellcome here.
I moved a BMW GS to the french alps, i rented it because my Street Glide was at repair. A friend had at this turn a Street Glide. He tryed to come closer at any Pass, but I put a little bit more efford I going up the pass. He got lost.😉
So in September I was with the PAS at the Stilfzer Joch. The same Situation, a regular HD was not able to come closer.
Sport modus ...
and it climbed as a goat.
I talked to other BMW bikers who switched to PAS. They say it is even.
In our alps there is Like 99,95% 😉 BMW on the passes, so more and more GS rider want to change to some rare Bike.
About the price is PAS cheaper than a GS. You have to see that HD has a lot of Features as Standard, at BMW the Bike comes nacked and you have to buy a lot of Features on top.
Read all that stuff here and make your dessicion.
Good luck.
View attachment 406
Stilfzer Joch....😄👍😄👍😄👍
Thanks Matilda. I have several bikes but included the GS in the garage after having owned an Africa Twin. The GS is a really capable bike (all bikes are beyond my capabilities!!!) but I replaced the Africa Twin with it due purely to the build quality. The GS is a very well made machine....and the customer service from BMW is fantastic. I really hate that they are so common though. There are just so many on the road I feel like a sheep following the crowd. I'm really drawn to the Pan America...it's beautiful and also has that bit more individuality.
I just have to convince Mrs Shrewsred that I need another bike in the garage 😂😁👍

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can not comment on your question as the PA is my first adv bike and never owned any other bikes, minus dirt bikes way back when. Since you're reading you'll see what I haveta say.

Good luck on your quest and may the bike you choose works out and gives you plenty o happy miles!
Thanks ODGreenPA. I have other bikes too but found that the modern adventure bikes are just so comfortable for clocking up big miles whilst also having plenty of power for playing with friends on their sports bikes and having fun or even just doing the shopping run. I'm v excited at having seen this Pan America! :) 👍

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks Matilda. I have several bikes but included the GS in the garage after having owned an Africa Twin. The GS is a really capable bike (all bikes are beyond my capabilities!!!) but I replaced the Africa Twin with it due purely to the build quality. The GS is a very well made machine....and the customer service from BMW is fantastic. I really hate that they are so common though. There are just so many on the road I feel like a sheep following the crowd. I'm really drawn to the Pan America...it's beautiful and also has that bit more individuality.
I just have to convince Mrs Shrewsred that I need another bike in the garage 😂😁👍
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Wheel Vehicle

would this help with misses.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Pan am is very much a Swiss Army knife of a bike and can do pretty much anything you want, it's just up to you I have not had any of the niggles, have even dropped whilst riding it off road, where it ended upside down In a ditch (lack of off riding skill on my part🤣) only a couple of scratches on the skid plate nothing anywhere else, my wife likes it as pillion and we are planning a tour round Europe next year, and then Scandinavia the following one. I am sure it will be capable at that, once I fit my luggage

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pan am is very much a Swiss Army knife of a bike and can do pretty much anything you want, it's just up to you I have not had any of the niggles, have even dropped whilst riding it off road, where it ended upside down In a ditch (lack of off riding skill on my part🤣) only a couple of scratches on the skid plate nothing anywhere else, my wife likes it as pillion and we are planning a tour round Europe next year, and then Scandinavia the following one. I am sure it will be capable at that, once I fit my luggage
Hi Sussex :) Great to hear that. Pretty much every bike is beyond my capabilities so the PA should be more than enough for me :) I love the look of it. I'm just hoping that I find it comfortable, that it fits me right if you know what I mean.
I've done plenty of European trips now but not done Scandinavia yet. I envy you that one. Would love to get there myself one day. 👍

1 - 10 of 10 Posts