Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner

What have you done to your Pan America today ? ? ?

62K views 335 replies 72 participants last post by  ODGreenPA 
#1 ·
Swiping the idea from from various similar enthusiast sites - - post up a comment or picture of anything Pan America related that you've done recently - - large or small. . . New accessory, modification, epic rides, whatever! ! Figured a lot of us are executing small upgrades that might not warrant an entire thread, but this could be a great place to cross-pollinate the good ideas members are using on their bikes.

Here's mine for the day:
Wheel Tire Crankset Bicycle tire Vehicle

Reflective rim tape. This is the retro-reflective stuff light looks "white" at night when headlights hit it. Had enough to do the entire rim, but like the staggered look. . .

Rear:
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

I've used similar product on my Buells, this was a bit trickier due to the spokes and style of rim - - instead of placing on the outer edge of the rims, went inboard, which should still work pretty well. Realize some may question this additional "safety" feature on an Adventure Bike, but this one is going to get plenty of commuting miles, and a significant amount before sunrise.

Who's next?

Paul

See less See more
#2 ·
Not a bad idea and something else to help become visible to idiots um other road travelers.👍

Wasn't today or yesterday but not too long ago I had some left over peel paint and thought it'd look decent on back half of bike, painted the handle that's not really a handle and pass footpegs, I think it looks great. Posted pics in deadwood green post but since you axed, here it is.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Luggage and bags Automotive design

#6 ·
#8 ·
I ordered that thing.. Let me see how it works with € and Delivery 🤞
Sorry, time zone difference kept me from responding sooner . . . That looks very similar, maybe a different vendor, but still likely produced in the same factory . . . Purchased mine off eBay, should work well with the Pyramid fender-extenders we have both mounted. Even though a lot of my miles will be on asphalt, I still didn't like how exposed the radiator was, especially with how short the front fender is. . .

#10 ·
Those upgrades look awesome! I did all the bodywork and more on my Ulysses in Line-X, so big fan of the texture on the crash bar and radiator shrouds. Appreciate the part # or link for the bark busters - - any problems with the install. . . ? And of course, you planning on producing the chain/sprocket guards? Well done on all the upgrades.

Paul

#12 ·
All kinds!!! 🤣
The levers on this bike are big, and getting everything to work together was tricky. I had to clearance the bar on the right side just a bit to clear the adjustment knob on the brake lever. It's best to loosen your levers and let the drop down and start playing around.
One fun fact, the bar ends are threaded, so once you've managed to squeeze in the expanding plug for the Acerbis, it's pretty much in there forever......
(And good call, those are the X Factor)

Reactions: RTWStare
#245 ·
All kinds!!! 🤣
The levers on this bike are big, and getting everything to work together was tricky. I had to clearance the bar on the right side just a bit to clear the adjustment knob on the brake lever. It's best to loosen your levers and let the drop down and start playing around.
One fun fact, the bar ends are threaded, so once you've managed to squeeze in the expanding plug for the Acerbis, it's pretty much in there forever......
(And good call, those are the X Factor)
I bought a pair and after spending a couple of hours trying to make them fit I have come to the conclusion that there's no way they will ever fit.
I'll have to trim off the ball ends to even make them come close to fitting, and even then it's kind of iffy.
When you say "clearance", do you mean you cut off a 1/4 inch or so off the bar end?
Even then I don't know how they fit, by the time I move the lever perch enough to clear the lever / guard I don't have any clearance for the lever to use the brake.
I would like to see an actual picture of the ENTIRE mount job you did, not just close-up's of the various areas.

#13 ·
MarcS,

I am considering buying a pair of the X-Factor handguards. Any chance you could provide a picture of the handguards where they are mounted to the handlebars (not the bar end)? Per the instructions I would like to see how/where part A is attached to the bars.

Thanks!

#24 ·
Assembled on the PAS the Motoguard.
It fits perfekt and there is enough Clearance to all other parts.
Easy to install.
Great
Thanks for posting, have been eye-balling that skidplate from Camel ADV, a bit less costly than the H-D part, free shipping, and likely in stock (and in hand) much sooner. . . good to see a user comment on the product, instead of just relying on the website description. Think it'd look great "under the tree" for mounting on Christmas Day.

As for me, picked up the bike after the 1K service, and like most of you, I'll be doing the rest of the maintenance schedule myself. No issues with the dealer (other than the costo_O), but unless I need them to update ECM/BCM, I can do most of the easier stuff myself.

Ride safe, Paul

#21 ·
I installed a set of Rox risers (beautiful btw) and it lead to a whole new set of hand gaurd issues once I rolled the bars and levers again. I ended up having to trim off the "ball" at the end of the brake lever just because it's so big and interfered with the main bracket. I also had to install a longer bolt to the inner bracket and move the bar out to give enough clearance on the master cylinder side. I was really hoping to avoid that, but it had to be done.The washers are temporary, I'll fabricate something better so it doesn't look like such an after thought...
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Bicycle frame Bicycle part
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Hood Vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Bicycle frame Bicycle part

#22 ·
I have the A1 risers so I may run into the same issue. I'll find out once I receive the handguards.
I don't have one but someone on another forum indicated he was using the CRG roll-a-click folding brake lever (p/n RB-517-F-B) on his PA. That brake lever looks to be shorter than the stock one. Of course, that means more $$$. :)

#25 ·
I was quoted $600, I did it myself. I've been in the automotive trade over 30 years, I think I can handle a bike service and check over. Besides, I've had half of it apart already anyway! 🤣🤷🏼‍♂️

#65 ·
For everyone talking about doing their own service, just keep in mind your making it easy for the moco to deny powertrain warranty claims. Before anyone throws the moss act yes I'm familiar with how warranties and the denial of such work. I have my own shop and this thing is still going back to the dealer for oil changes, just for the service record through the moco. I've got a 21 RGS as well that I voided the warranty on about 5 minutes after I picked it up with a cam/tuner/intake/exhaust, with that motor no big deal if it blows up I'll go 128ci. With this VVT techno marvel and all the electronics I'm happily keeping my warranty.

#26 ·
Finished a few more projects the last couple of days..... Metal chain gaurds, rear brake line cover, relocated rear brake reservoir, ROX risers, and a high fender kit including a new, longer crossover brake line. I also tweaked my light mounts a bit and added Shock Sox. And I'm pretty sure the delivery I have waiting for me at home is my Corbin seat.
Wheel Tire Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design
Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motorcycle

Attachments

#27 ·
You don't wait around, those are some really nice upgrades. . . Don't think my current riding style justifies that level of effort, but glad you are sharing what you've done with the rest of us. . . Don't have your mechanical background, but decent enough with a wrench to execute most of the service stuff myself, but figured the first service and "updates" from the dealer tech an "okay" expense - - but no more. . .
Paul

#28 ·
Had the 1K service done today. A bit chilly 70 mile ride to the dealer this morning, 19F when I left the house. Any future maintenance/service will be done by me. Had the dealer do the first service to get all of the service bulletins done and not have any future warranty issues. Had several parts that finally came in installed as well.

Skid plate, radiator guard, exhaust guard, and top case mount installed. The auxiliary lights showed up, but no harness/install kit yet. The soft panniers also showed up, but no side case mounts yet. None of the hard cases have shown up yet either. Still waiting for the headlight guard. Installed a set of Ilium Works highway pegs last night. Thinking of ordering a set of Flo Motorsports foot pegs.

#31 ·
I think people hate the price!!!! My first Corbin I had was for my Buell XB12R. On the stock seat, I took a 2 hour highway ride, stopped for a bit and then came home. I walked in pain for 3 days. With the Corbin, I've riden that thing 8-9 hours in a day and it didn't even feel like I sat down. I knew I was getting a Corbin for the PA before I even took delivery...

#32 ·
Thanks for this and other comments/inputs. I know alot has to do with personal preference. If something works and works well it makes it easier to spend the money. Don't get me wrong, I work and gotta watch what I spend but I'd rather spend little more one time than little less many times. Thanks again for your asses opinions,😁 and really liking what you've done to your PA.

#33 ·
Thanks so much, I'm really enjoying the bike, and I'm incapable of leaving anything alone. I have a shop with pretty much anything I could ever need to do whatever insanity pops into my head. I have a few more ideas I'm working on too.... I'll share them once they're done😎👌 Good luck with your seat choice!

#39 ·
Couple questions:
Are those the HD lights?
If yes, were they back ordered and did you just receive them or have you had them awhile and just installed?

I ask, cause I ordered them in August but I'm still waiting on them and if you got yours maybe, just maybe they are getting some items out and hopefully I'll get mine soon.🤞

Also curious bout sasquatch question but seems (thanks marcs) like I should save money (skip dealer) and install myself.