Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Playing around with some "alternative" GPS options. . . Granted, I haven't gone full bore into the Harley Navigation App, but I'll use this GPS for other off-roading uses - - have a more robust bracket to keep the unit in place. Not against using the H-D app via phone, but also like the option of a "stand-alone" system.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Cockpit Gauge Gadget

It's biiigggg. . . Garmin Overlander.

·
Registered
2021 Deadwood (OD) Green PanAm, 2007 Pearl Yellow RK Custom
132 Posts
Playing around with some "alternative" GPS options. . . Granted, I haven't gone full bore into the Harley Navigation App, but I'll use this GPS for other off-roading uses - - have a more robust bracket to keep the unit in place. Not against using the H-D app via phone, but also like the option of a "stand-alone" system.

View attachment 502
It's biiigggg. . . Garmin Overlander.
Have you utilized that version of garmin? I've been eyeing it but not sure spending that money on it cause if mixed reviews. Wow it is big.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Have you utilized that version of garmin? I've been eyeing it but not sure spending that money on it cause if mixed reviews. Wow it is big.
Nope, sorry. . . the GPS box is under the Christmas Tree wrapped. . . , but the GPS is in the garage. . . Consider it a pre-gift before the holiday. . . So, barely have had it turned on, much less a chance play with all the options. I like the Garmin stuff, and while the Overlander is probably not the first choice if you have a new 4x4, (with Navigation, clinometer, altimeter, ability to wire in a back-up [or forward-looking] camera, etc.), it will work great for my near 30 year old trail rig.
Steering wheel Steering part Vehicle Auto part Automotive design

Got a decent "Cyber-Monday" deal on the unit, so wasn't as painful as full price. Depending on how the Harley App works for me, like to have a back-up or stand-alone option as I get the bike off the major roads.

Paul

·
Registered
132 Posts
👌 I've got an older garmin that I've been happy with and had lifetime maps but apparently it's so old they quit updating the maps for my unit. So kinda, somewhat looking to "upgrade".

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was quoted $600, I did it myself. I've been in the automotive trade over 30 years, I think I can handle a bike service and check over. Besides, I've had half of it apart already anyway! 🤣🤷🏼‍♂️

For everyone talking about doing their own service, just keep in mind your making it easy for the moco to deny powertrain warranty claims. Before anyone throws the moss act yes I'm familiar with how warranties and the denial of such work. I have my own shop and this thing is still going back to the dealer for oil changes, just for the service record through the moco. I've got a 21 RGS as well that I voided the warranty on about 5 minutes after I picked it up with a cam/tuner/intake/exhaust, with that motor no big deal if it blows up I'll go 128ci. With this VVT techno marvel and all the electronics I'm happily keeping my warranty.

·
Registered
2021 Harley-Davidson Pan America Special
9 Posts
Top case showed up a couple of weeks ago. Installed that last weekend. Got a call from the dealer earlier this week that the panniers arrived. Stopped by the dealer today to pick them up and the tank pads and headlight guard also showed up. Will be installing these tomorrow. All of the parts I ordered on June 10th have now been delivered.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Nice thanks for update. Hopefully my phone will ring in near future. Ordered mine in August.

Got 100 slightly chilly, windy miles on today but better than sitting in garage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not a bad idea and something else to help become visible to idiots um other road travelers.👍

Wasn't today or yesterday but not too long ago I had some left over peel paint and thought it'd look decent on back half of bike, painted the handle that's not really a handle and pass footpegs, I think it looks great. Posted pics in deadwood green post but since you axed, here it is.

View attachment 273

View attachment 274
Looks great ! Too bad there's a recall colin' out on the grabrail ... 🥴

·
Registered
Pan America Spezial
155 Posts
New Turn Signal

·
Registered
2021 Baja Orange / White Pan America Special
64 Posts
Santa dropped off a few goodies... If anyone else is going to do the headlamp gaurd, throw away the instructions....
The back pieces are curved and 1 of them has an R stamped on it (important). Assemble all of the pieces using only a couple of threads on the bolts, THEN install it and tighten everything down. WAY easier than the circus balancing act they show....
The Alibaba rad shield is decent enough, and for $35 vs $195 at the dealer, it's even better....
Billet foot pegs made by my local dealer too....
And just got the notice from Canada Post that my TOCE exhaust is here 🏍🏍🏍
Audio equipment Electrical wiring Gas Auto part Electrical supply

Grille Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Grille

Reactions: Matilda

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wheel Tire Crankset Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Motorcycle

Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Wheel Vehicle

A little exhaust wrap and a heat shield to protect the pannier bags. I think Giant Loop's got some nice offerings.

·
Registered
10 Posts
After all the horror stories of people waiting months for bikes, parts and accessories, I feel extremely lucky. Almost a bit 'rushed'. First off I was going to wait until spring to get the bike when I happened to find the bike of my dreams, a Special with laced wheels, last October. They offered me a killer trade on my Road Glide so I had to take advantage of the deal. I have only 380 km on it (one full day) as the winter weather in British Columbia has brought 'Atmospheric Rivers', complete with floods and literal natural disasters, along with a recent snowfall. I didn't think it would be so psychologically hard to watch a brand new bike sitting in my garage untouched. Yes I know... I can hear the collective "Aww, poor guy" right through my computer screen, but it's not fun buying a bike you have to wait 4 months to ride.

Anyway, last Saturday I stopped by my dealer to hang out and maybe schedule the recall. They said I don't need an appointment this time of year so just bring the bike in anytime. Okay, cool! Next nice day I'll put on a permit and use it as an excuse for a ride. I wandered over to the parts desk to ask about luggage. Just a quote as I'm in no rush and was trying to let the money well refill after blowing the wad on the bike. I could probably wait until April anyway. They gave me a quote and told me they had a top box and rack at one of their other dealerships and could have them in by Friday. I started thinking about the stories of stuff taking months to get, all the supply chain issues, our main routes across the province being decimated, and now a looming truckers strike, so I figured I'd better order them.

I get a call last night (Wednesday) and she says my box is in. Awesome! Only 4 days. Then she says they just received a set of panniers, in black, the ones I wanted. I said "What happened to 8 weeks?" She told me a customer had ordered them a few months ago. He got tired of waiting and told them to get stuffed. They're in stock and mine if I want them. It would be rude not to, right?

Talk about luck! Now if it would only stop raining...

·
Registered
132 Posts
That's great, im happy for ya you better buy lotto.😁 I am one still waiting on my panniers and aux lighting I ordered in August.

·
Registered
Pan America Spezial
155 Posts
Great, one question, how wide is it from the left to the right outside of the pannier.
Maybe measured in cm.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts