Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
121 - 140 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Love your work there. Where did you happen across that rear rack, Drifter? That looks a handy/sturdy thing to have. Thanks. Dirtglide.
Hey, Dirtglide.... Thanks. I try and only put on stuff I think I'll actually need and will use. For how I ride and travel, I prefer not to have panniers because I don't like the added width. I like to have a permanent mounted trunk to carry the gear I always want with me, so I went with the Touratech rack with custom mounted Pelican case. The rack bolts directly to the frame after you remove the factory plastic rack thingy. Very sturdy, and a great grab hold when putting the bike on the center stand. For long trips (which for me is 2-3 weeks and 3,500-5,000 miles), I add a 35 Liter raft bag on the passenger pillion, and if I need another bag I stack it on the raft bag or Pelican case. I've never needed more.

·
Registered
PAS RA1250S Deadwood Green Spokes & ARH
295 Posts
I fitted yon Givi Maxia today, it normally looks huge on a bike, looks about right on the Harley.
:grin:
I mustn't load it up with heavy stuff, it's just for the tent, sleep mats. Light stuff only!
Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood

Had to remove the grab rail to fit it, drill & bolt the carrier onto the tiny rear rack, which means removing the stop light just enough to get at the bolt above it. More luggage capacity than some cars I've owned now, in volume at least. Hope it stays put.... Dirtglide.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not today, but not too long ago. . .
View attachment 280
Aftermarket Radiator Guard, looks about the same as the H-D option - - no bar and shield, but half the price and in stock (did take a few weeks to get here . . . let's call it "Supply Chain Issues. . .")

Paul
Part number and where did you get it.. I was going to make one as Harley is way to expensive.. half the cost would be worth it

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hey, Dirtglide.... Thanks. I try and only put on stuff I think I'll actually need and will use. For how I ride and travel, I prefer not to have panniers because I don't like the added width. I like to have a permanent mounted trunk to carry the gear I always want with me, so I went with the Touratech rack with custom mounted Pelican case. The rack bolts directly to the frame after you remove the factory plastic rack thingy. Very sturdy, and a great grab hold when putting the bike on the center stand. For long trips (which for me is 2-3 weeks and 3,500-5,000 miles), I add a 35 Liter raft bag on the passenger pillion, and if I need another bag I stack it on the raft bag or Pelican case. I've never needed more.
Thanks, Drifter. The Touratech does seem to be the real deal. I had a look at the mounting instructions and it seems it uses the same mounts as the Givi pannier racks I have fitted. Really not sure I could fit both. Dirtglide.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I installed the Screaming Eagle Quickshifter when I was home. The shifter was easy, but I had to pull the engine guard and radiator shroud on the left side to find the engine connector. The HD directions for the wiring were terrible! Once the ECU was reflashed it works great though! View attachment 951
View attachment 949
View attachment 950
How does the shifter work? Is it good? Shift good ? Does it shift up and down or just up?

·
Registered
140 Posts
What have I done? Hmmmm.... well, I added another box to my workbench. :rolleyes: I'm working night shifts for a few weeks, so my time to work on the bike is limited. But after a few long rides I realized risers were in order. I've bought from HeliBars for many years.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Motorcycle

·
Registered
18 Posts
What have I done? Hmmmm.... well, I added another box to my workbench. :rolleyes: I'm working night shifts for a few weeks, so my time to work on the bike is limited. But after a few long rides I realized risers were in order. I've bought from HeliBars for many years.
View attachment 989
Is the ball mount included? I had heli bar risers on my black bird

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've just finished fitting this. Has anyone seen ma phone? :D

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
2021 Harley-Davidson Pan America Special
21 Posts
After being out of the country for the last several months, finally got home at the end of last week to a garage full of parts. Installed a set of Black Dog Cycle Works foot pegs, new HD jiffy stand with the larger foot, and a Jurock windshield. Still have the Pyramid Fender extenders, TouraTech front fender extension riser struts, Touratech GPS mount and locking GPS mount to install. Also got a Micro Start jump start battery and Cycle Pump.

The bike has been stored in the garage covered since I left last December. Took the cover off and it fired right up(was on a tender while I was gone). Checked for any codes, none. Let it run for about 5 minutes and shut it off. Swapped the foot pegs and installed the jiffy stand. I took it off the center stand to check the new Jiffy stand. Let it set there for several minutes while I was cleaning up. Noticed a leak, fluid dripping out of the skid plate on the left side. At first I thought it was oil, but it turned out to be coolant. Dropped the skid plate and found a coolant hose in the left side, leaking between the hose and the fitting. Looks like the factory clamp might have been installed a bit high on the fitting. Cleaned everything up and installed a regular hose clamp below the factory one. Attached are a couple of pics, the first is the hose where is was leaking on the front surface, second pic you can see drops. Might be any area to keep on eye on. I didn't notice this during the 2K I put on it before storing it.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive design Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
140 Posts
Installed the HeliBars risers today and took the bike for a 30 mile ride. For me, it made a world of difference. I used to be 6'-0" tall ( age is trying to shorten my stature) and don't have ape arms. It used to feel like I was constantly resting weight on my wrists when riding, which was annoying during a long day. I immediately noticed the difference with these risers. Very comfortable, and also an improvement when standing. They're 2"up and 2" back. Also, there is no change in viewing the gauges (I did my best to take the gauges pic as it looks when I'm riding). They're not cheap, but I've used their products for decades on my different bikes, and they're quality made. :sneaky: 🤟
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Fuel tank Motorcycle

Vehicle Steering part Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
2022 Pan America Special
80 Posts
Installed the HeliBars risers today and took the bike for a 30 mile ride. For me, it made a world of difference. I used to be 6'-0" tall ( age is trying to shorten my stature) and don't have ape arms. It used to feel like I was constantly resting weight on my wrists when riding, which was annoying during a long day. I immediately noticed the difference with these risers. Very comfortable, and also an improvement when standing. They're 2"up and 2" back. Also, there is no change in viewing the gauges (I did my best to take the gauges pic as it looks when I'm riding). They're not cheap, but I've used their products for decades on my different bikes, and they're quality made. :sneaky: 🤟
View attachment 1003
View attachment 1004
I've been thinking about getting these risers. The cables reach with no issues? Is it just a simple bolt on product?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've been thinking about getting these risers. The cables reach with no issues? Is it just a simple bolt on product?
The factory cables are designed with extra length to accommodate risers. The instructions are very clear with step-by-step descriptions and photos. Very easy install. Just make sure you have ratchet attachment Torx and Allen bits, and a torque wrench.

·
Registered
27 Posts
These are the Day Maker lights (HD). These were ordered when I ordered my bike in March. Bike was delivered in July. The lights and harness showed up in early November. Install wasn't too bad.

The worst part was having to take the tank and airbox off. Only took 30 minutes or so to get the tank off for the first time, taking my time to make sure everything was disconnected. Will be much quicker the next time.

Still waiting for my headlight guard, hard panniers, top case, and side mounts.
CrewDawg,
I just got my lights yesterday and wonder if you could shed some light on removing the tank? The rest of the kit looks like a piece of cake.
Many thanks!
Glen
P.S. the dealer wanted 417.00 to install...OMG.

121 - 140 of 223 Posts