Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As more people join the forum I'm curious to hear what everyone's motorcycle history is like. For me I don't have a long ownership history, currently I have a 2016 Suzuki V-Strom 650 and before that I had a 2010 Harley Davidson Sportster.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well I've had fifty nine bikes and the Pan America makes sixty. I can tell you categorically that the Pan America is the best in it's class. The bike has a natural and comfortable riding position which for me is a big factor. The powerplant is amazing and the electronics are extremely well thought out. This is a no frills no gimmick bike...everything works very well. I knew I wanted the bike the first time I rode the demo. The bike felt as nimble as my 2014 Kawasaki KLR650 with the power response of my KTM and the durability of my BMW GS 1200GS. There is a lot more to come from HD with the ADV bike line, stay tuned.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I've had fifty nine bikes and the Pan America makes sixty. I can tell you categorically that the Pan America is the best in it's class. The bike has a natural and comfortable riding position which for me is a big factor. The powerplant is amazing and the electronics are extremely well thought out. This is a no frills no gimmick bike...everything works very well. I knew I wanted the bike the first time I rode the demo. The bike felt as nimble as my 2014 Kawasaki KLR650 with the power response of my KTM and the durability of my BMW GS 1200GS. There is a lot more to come from HD with the ADV bike line, stay tuned.
Hey @PanAmrider welcome to the forum! I'm jealous that you got the chance to ride a demo, I haven't been as lucky yet. How did you find the engine response when you were riding? I've read good things about it. What do you think we can see going forward with HD's adventure bike line?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I foresee that there has to be a smaller version on the RA1250 down the road. With the rollout of the __ on the 13th It just has to be since the RA1250 was such a huge success.

·
Registered
6 Posts
@KnuckleHead I started with a CBR 250, sold it a couple years later for a CBR 600, caught the adv bug and picked up an Africa Twin but later sold it because I had to move and been bikeless since. Always wanted to get an adv bike again and the Pan America is along the lines of what I really want!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@KnuckleHead I started with a CBR 250, sold it a couple years later for a CBR 600, caught the adv bug and picked up an Africa Twin but later sold it because I had to move and been bikeless since. Always wanted to get an adv bike again and the Pan America is along the lines of what I really want!
Welcome to the forum @ADVHD! What about the Pan America stands out the most for you compared to other bikes?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I foresee that there has to be a smaller version on the RA1250 down the road. With the rollout of the __ on the 13th It just has to be since the RA1250 was such a huge success.
That sounds like a winning recipe to me. That could do really well for HD to get them really settled in the market.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had to thin the heard recently before the wife and I moved down to Florida and made a major down size. So the bikes that remain are 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900GT, 1980 Yamaha XS650 Streettracker, 2015 Kawasaki KLR650, 2009 HD XR1200 and the new Pam America.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had to thin the heard recently before the wife and I moved down to Florida and made a major down size. So the bikes that remain are 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900GT, 1980 Yamaha XS650 Streettracker, 2015 Kawasaki KLR650, 2009 HD XR1200 and the new Pam America.
I had a 2014 KLR650 to use with my motorhome...great bike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well you asked he question.
So here goes.
NSU Quickly
Honda 50cc
Yamaha 80cc
BSA A10 Road Rocket x 2

BMW R45
BMW 1200GS 2009
BMW 1200GS 2008
1969 Triumph Bonneville x 2
Triumph Trident
Triumph Daytona 4 cylinder
Triumph Trophy
Triumph 1050
Kawasaki Z750
Yamaha FZ750
Yamaha FJ1100
Honda CBR 1000F
Honda Blackbirds x 3
Honda Pan Europeans 1100cc x 2
Honda CB1000R
Honda XL1000V Varadero x 2
HD Pan America
Each of these bikes has been THE one at the time of buying so I guess my PA is THE one again.
But you have to ask is it 😉😂

·
Registered
3 Posts
Stein-Hodaka 100
Suzuki GS450E
Suzuki RG250 Gamma
Suzuki GS550E
Honda CBR600
Honda RC-51-Still have
Honda VRF800 ABS-traded in for PAS1250S
HD Pan America

·
Registered
36 Posts
Stein-Hodaka 100
Suzuki GS450E
Suzuki RG250 Gamma
Suzuki GS550E
Honda CBR600
Honda RC-51-Still have
Honda VRF800 ABS-traded in for PAS1250S
HD Pan America
Maui, wasn't the Stein-Hodaka a Stein frame with a Hodake engine?
If it's what I think it is, I wanted it as a kid.

·
Registered
2021 Deadwood (OD) Green PanAm, 2007 Pearl Yellow RK Custom
47 Posts

Couple small dirt bikes dad bought as a kid and rode several different ones throughout the years before I finally bought my first, 07 RK Custom back in 2012/13 timeframe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As more people join the forum I'm curious to hear what everyone's motorcycle history is like. For me I don't have a long ownership history, currently I have a 2016 Suzuki V-Strom 650 and before that I had a 2010 Harley Davidson Sportster.
I've had a couple KTM Adventure bikes as well as a Yamaha Adventure (Super Tenere). The KTM's actually have a better suspension for the really rough stuff, but you seldom spend much (if any) time at that extreme, and the Pan Am is better at everything else. The Yamaha has no advantage, unless you want a shaft drive.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've had a couple KTM Adventure bikes as well as a Yamaha Adventure (Super Tenere). The KTM's actually have a better suspension for the really rough stuff, but you seldom spend much (if any) time at that extreme, and the Pan Am is better at everything else. The Yamaha has no advantage, unless you want a shaft drive.
I was wondering if you had many problems with the KTM's and how was the cost to maintain them?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was wondering if you had many problems with the KTM's and how was the cost to maintain them?
I know from monitoring KTM forums that some people had some issues with them (especially the first 950's), but I was lucky to have nothing serious. I never had much in the way of expenses either because I do my own maintenance. I can tell you that shimming the valves was a real pain-in-the-butt, so that would have been expensive to pay for.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My moto history started in NYC on
KE100 last street legal 2 stroke dual sport sold in US
Then right on to an SV650 which was great first big bike.
CBR600F4i I rode for years because it never broke and I found it comfy for sport touring loaded up with bags. Still in the end I missed the Vtwin of my SV.

Rest of my list is as follows, but never considered a Harley before the PA.
Aprilia Tuono
Ducati 998
Piaggio BV250 big wheeled scooter that goes 85mph.
Yamaha Tmax sport scooter that goes 110mph.
Bmw g650Xchallenge
BMW K1200GT Hanigan hps sidecar rig on 3 car tires with special front end swing arm snd subframe.
Husqvarna TE300 and WR146cc 2 stroke both street legal.
FJ-09 Yamaha Tracer set up perfect for sport touring was bike I traded in for the PanAm.
During covid I pretty much sold 5 bikes on FB so quick at surprisingly high prices and they all replaced by 1 do it all bike.
Only thing I need again is a little dual sport bike for little trails locally or when attached to RV bumper but huskies were always a pain in the ass with the hydraulic clutch failing, messing with carbs etc… I just need a Honda again probably.

But Harley should make a 500cc and or 750cc dual sport from those India built engines if they can make it light!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My moto history started in NYC on
KE100 last street legal 2 stroke dual sport sold in US
Then right on to an SV650 which was great first big bike.
CBR600F4i I rode for years because it never broke and I found it comfy for sport touring loaded up with bags. Still in the end I missed the Vtwin of my SV.

Rest of my list is as follows, but never considered a Harley before the PA.
Aprilia Tuono
Ducati 998
Piaggio BV250 big wheeled scooter that goes 85mph.
Yamaha Tmax sport scooter that goes 110mph.
Bmw g650Xchallenge
BMW K1200GT Hanigan hps sidecar rig on 3 car tires with special front end swing arm snd subframe.
Husqvarna TE300 and WR146cc 2 stroke both street legal.
FJ-09 Yamaha Tracer set up perfect for sport touring was bike I traded in for the PanAm.
During covid I pretty much sold 5 bikes on FB so quick at surprisingly high prices and they all replaced by 1 do it all bike.
Only thing I need again is a little dual sport bike for little trails locally or when attached to RV bumper but huskies were always a pain in the ass with the hydraulic clutch failing, messing with carbs etc… I just need a Honda again probably.

But Harley should make a 500cc and or 750cc dual sport from those India built engines if they can make it light!
Welcome to the forum @FOXedupONE! I love the variety in your motorcycle history, especially the BMW K1200GT Hannigan and the FJ-09 Yamaha Tracer. What convinced you to go with the Pan America as your first Harley?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts