Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checking my bike after hearing all the issues with the radiator hose getting crispy.. I only have 2k on my bike been some good hard Miles. Hose appears fine and there is a out 3\8" between header and hose.. what is the general consensus? It looks like if I cut 1\4" of the hose which would get it 1\4 farther away it would touch radiator in front of the starter..
Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design
Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
20 Posts
You can check out my other posts on this very issue.
I'd say that 1/2" is sufficient. I totally agree with the adhesive / reflective tape. I will be posting pics of the recent mods I made that provide that exact tape and header wrap to insure this does not become an issue in the future.
My previous posts have indicated a need to shorten the hose by 1/4". Is this the same measurement for ALL bikes? No, it is clear that due to assembly differences, there may be a common sense approach needed when choosing how much to shorten it by.
From this forum alone, there is a significant difference in the distance needed on almost every bike delivered.
Choose wisely my friends.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Novalron, take some time and read some of the other posts on this very subject. It needs to go in for that hose replacement. I would not delay it at all.
several of us have made mods to avoid it in the future, but, it needs to be replaced asap.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I can now add myself to this club. Cleaning the bike yesterday and spotted the radiator pipe has started to melt.

Hopefully HD can do something before my next trip in 2 weeks time.

·
Registered
PAS RA1250S Deadwood Green Spokes & ARH
244 Posts
Not sure what the clearance is supposed to be, but whatever it is, my 3-week-old, 500 miles, 2022 PAS must not have had the proper gap. Already burning a hole.

View attachment 1213 View attachment 1214
There isn't any clearance there at all, so much so the hose is pushing the radiator shroud out of alignment and making contact with the downpipe! The dealer should recover that bike and put it right. Issues like this should be picked up during the dealers, pre-delivery inspection (PDI). I'd be asking them about that and why they didn't spot it? Hope you get it sorted quickly and without any drama. Dirtglide.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Just checking my bike after hearing all the issues with the radiator hose getting crispy.. I only have 2k on my bike been some good hard Miles. Hose appears fine and there is a out 3\8" between header and hose.. what is the general consensus? It looks like if I cut 1\4" of the hose which would get it 1\4 farther away it would touch radiator in front of the starter.. View attachment 1126 View attachment 1126
Looks about the same as mine, no issues as yet.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The gap between the hose and pipe is 1/2” on my bike. I cut some adhesive-backed aluminized heat barrier tape and wrapped it around the hose at that location.
View attachment 1127
View attachment 1128
This to me looks like how it should be. The hose should sit just behind the outer edge of the shroud. Heat tape is belt & braces. 🆒

1 - 10 of 10 Posts