Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I literally just picked up my bike and it is running real hot. I called the dealer and they said that it was at the top end but, because it is brand new, it may be running hotter than usual. At one point, it ran to 275! what advice you guys have?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have you checked the coolant level? There have been reports of bikes not being filled correctly at the dealerships. I think the hottest I've seen mine is around 230 when the ambient was at 103 and that was stopped, started cooling down pretty quick as soon as I started moving.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you checked the coolant level? There have been reports of bikes not being filled correctly at the dealerships. I think the hottest I've seen mine is around 230 when the ambient was at 103 and that was stopped, started cooling down pretty quick as soon as I started moving.
Wow! something is definitely wrong with mine then. I just literally rode her home from dealer and it was riding at 235 on the Hwy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It could be something as simple a bad temp sending unit.
I don’t think so. after it cooled off, I checked the coolant level. Almost none.

I think what happened was that went to this dealer to test ride a Pan America but it was black and I was getting rid of a R1200GS that was black. I wanted another color. They traded a blue/white with anot her dealer but I guess, when they took the bike in and did PDI they did not check the levels.

The dealer sent a van to pick it up and do a full check. I am pissed!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Check the coolant level or get it to the dealer. I picked up mine in March, it was running 200-210 all of April. The first 70 degree day I went for a ride and it spiked around 260. I had the dealer pick me up and it ended up being a catastrophic engine failure. Full engine replacement. When they checked the radiator it was dry, on startup coolant shot out of the exhaust. It's now running 185-195 at freeway speeds, 200-205 around town and gets up to 215-220 at longer stoplights.

·
Registered
2022 Pan America 1250 Special
34 Posts
275F? There is definitely something wrong. I rode all day long last week from Missoula, MT to Gillette, WY and the temperature was over 100F the whole way. It peaked at 106F.

While riding on the highway I never saw the temperature of the engine go above 215F and when pulling off I saw it peak at about 221F. So that route, if you are not familiar with it involves a number of mountain passes so much of that was climbing at 80 MPH. In other words, the engine was working quite a bit.

Under more typical riding conditions the bike usually runs in the range of 185F-190F.

I'm not sure how long a coolant temp of 275 can be sustained without engine damage but my guess is that it's not all that long.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
275F? There is definitely something wrong. I rode all day long last week from Missoula, MT to Gillette, WY and the temperature was over 100F the whole way. It peaked at 106F.

While riding on the highway I never saw the temperature of the engine go above 215F and when pulling off I saw it peak at about 221F. So that route, if you are not familiar with it involves a number of mountain passes so much of that was climbing at 80 MPH. In other words, the engine was working quite a bit.

Under more typical riding conditions the bike usually runs in the range of 185F-190F.

I'm not sure how long a coolant temp of 275 can be sustained without engine damage but my guess is that it's not all that long.
They fixed it! I just went to pick it up at the dealer. The bike hardly had any coolant in it. So they had to flush it, add new coolant and bleed it. It is 95 degrees out here today and I rode it home. 190-200 when going, climbed to 225 while stopped but fan brought it back down to 212. That will still be a little getting used to. My R1200GS would top at 212 degrees in over 100 degree weather out here in California. The bike just ran cooler than the Pan America. This is all new to me. Not my first HD bike, I have owned several, but my first cooled bike from them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine behaves the same as others mentioned; Usually right around 185-200 on the highway (depending on ambient temps) and in stop-and-go traffic it’ll peak at 225 before the fans cool it down to ~210.

·
Registered
26 Posts
salicrupa, Oops sorry I typed all the below then saw that you got yours fixed. I can't figure out how to delete my post but it said....mine was doing the same thing, overheating when idling and causing the motor to retard spark and run terribly - if I remember correctly it would start at 235 degrees F (and mine would get even hotter). A competent dealer tech identified the problem as an air bubble in the cooling system, which was preventing full flow of the coolant. Note: coolant level on the dipstick would indicate "full". They drained and PROPERLY refilled the coolant, and now mine runs fine - even at 100 degrees plus ambient temp, mine rarely gets more than 215, maybe 220 when idling for awhile.

Incidentally mine started after the exposed coolant line next to the header pipe was shortened to keep if from making contact (a known issue from the factory). Evidently the dealership that did that work didn't refill the system properly - the tech that ended up fixing the bubble issue told me you really have to know what you're doing to fill the system properly.

Hope this helps - cheers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts