Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When is a handle not a handle? Apparently when it’s made by Harley :mad:

I know that the manual says not to grab this part when lifting the bike on the center stand. I guess I was just a little tired and careless after a slippery ride through a rare Ankara rain. I made it all the way home through slick, crowded city roads without incident only to rip this “handle” right off and dump the bike while trying the pop her onto the center stand. The hooligan look is well on its way.

Public service announcement: remember to only grab the hard frame parts when lifting onto the stand. Also, always keep your mind right -even when she’s parked. A moment of carelessness on my part led to this consequence.

Safe rides and happy trails, all!!
Automotive tire Automotive design Trunk Bumper Motor vehicle

·
Registered
50 Posts
I’d be tempted to get in touch with your dealer. It shouldn’t be that weak. Tell them you where moving the bike when it come of if the owners Manuel says not to use when putting on main stand.

if you can talk them into agreeing it’s a manufacturing fault, you might even get any other damaged parts replaced.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Where about in the manual does it say not to use it. The following is the instructions from what I can see.

Using Center Stand
1. Place transmission in neutral.
2. Grasp left hand grip and side of motorcycle near seat.
3. Stand motorcycle upright off jiffy stand.
4. See Figure 1. Press down on lever (2) with foot.
5. Ensure feet (3) are both on ground.
6. While pressing down on lever (2) rock motorcycle to the rear lifting motorcycle onto center stand (1).

I would say "side of motorcycle near seat" doesn’t make it clear not to use it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Where about in the manual does it say not to use it. The following is the instructions from what I can see.

Using Center Stand
1.Place transmission in neutral.
2.Grasp left hand grip and side of motorcycle near seat.
3.Stand motorcycle upright off jiffy stand.
4.See Figure 1. Press down on lever (2) with foot.
5.Ensure feet (3) are both on ground.
6.While pressing down on lever (2) rock motorcycle to the rear lifting motorcycle onto center stand (1).

I would say "side of motorcycle near seat" doesn’t make it clear not to use it.
You raise a valid point. I guess that part of the manual is a little vague. Nonetheless, I actually knew not to use that handle from multiple online recommendations, and I knew it was too flimsy to sustain the bike’s weight during the center stand lift. I had hitherto only grasped it at the metal attachment whereby the passenger’s left footpeg mounts to the frame. It’s an awkward twist of the wrist to lift from there but, with proper technique (ie. Correctly stepping down on the balanced center stand and lift with my legs :ROFLMAO:), it’s a doable procedure. This time I was just careless -in my heart I know that the damage is on me. Once I file down the sharp edges and wrap an overpriced bandanna from Urban Rider about the stub, I can chalk this incident up as “impromptu customization”🤫

·
Registered
2021 Deadwood (OD) Green PanAm, 2007 Pearl Yellow RK Custom
67 Posts
So I shouldn't ask where you got the custom rear bracket?😁 Seriously tho hate that for ya and you'd think HD make stress/highly useable point on bike outta something little stronger than the plastic they used Or had panniers available to utilize. Maybe they will in future models. I get what you're saying bout being on you but at same time HD could have made it stronger but it is only piece of plastic on back that has no functional use.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I shouldn't ask where you got the custom rear bracket?😁 Seriously tho hate that for ya and you'd think HD make stress/highly useable point on bike outta something little stronger than the plastic they used Or had panniers available to utilize. Maybe they will in future models. I get what you're saying bout being on you but at same time HD could have made it stronger but it is only piece of plastic on back that has no functional use.
Yup yup. Apart from giving a passenger something to hold onto, that bracket doesn’t serve much purpose. I just removed it altogether and reinstalled the top case mounting plate, which is fixed to the lower assembly THROUGH that useless handle. I think the absence of those grips (from now on I shall refer to them as “water wings”) provides more of a clean street-fighter look to this hooligan-mobile 😎
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup yup. Apart from giving a passenger something to hold onto, that bracket doesn’t serve much purpose. I just removed it altogether and reinstalled the top case mounting plate, which is fixed to the lower assembly THROUGH that useless handle. I think the absence of those grips (from now on I shall refer to them as “water wings”) provides more of a clean street-fighter look to this hooligan-mobile 😎 View attachment 194
Ya know, a street-fighter with a top case, for when the street fighter has to pick up groceries 🤪

·
Registered
Pan America Spezial
36 Posts
Shi...tttt. but Check the area where it cracked, maybe there is a previous crack before.
Just an additional argument for you towards the Dealer.🤞🤞🤞

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shi...tttt. but Check the area where it cracked, maybe there is a previous crack before.
Just an additional argument for you towards the Dealer.🤞🤞🤞
Nah it’s ok -lifting a 550lb bike by a piece of plastic is a surefire way to break said piece of plastic. I knew better -hopefully someone else will learn from my mistake and avoid a similar fate 🤕

And TBH, I kinda like the new “trimmed down” look. A YouTuber recently posted (as a goof) an image of his PAS with the front cowling and windscreen removed. He called it “the hooligan mobile”. Here’s a link to the video:

I had to admit, the foundation has some potential to go full Mad Max if one were to pare down on some of the bells, whistles and plastic. I can’t wait to see what custom fitments/arrangements will soon start to emerge. I really think this bike is gonna go down as a classic.

now I’m all emotional 🥲

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nah it’s ok -lifting a 550lb bike by a piece of plastic is a surefire way to break said piece of plastic. I knew better -hopefully someone else will learn from my mistake and avoid a similar fate 🤕

And TBH, I kinda like the new “trimmed down” look. A YouTuber recently posted (as a goof) an image of his PAS with the front cowling and windscreen removed. He called it “the hooligan mobile”. Here’s a link to the video:

I had to admit, the foundation has some potential to go full Mad Max if one were to pare down on some of the bells, whistles and plastic. I can’t wait to see what custom fitments/arrangements will soon start to emerge. I really think this bike is gonna go down as a classic.

now I’m all emotional 🥲
You aren’t actually lifting the bike when you place it on the centre stand, that handle should be adequate. Your body weight on the centre stand lever should ease the bike up, you are actually only supporting yourself with your handhold as it moves up and backwards onto the stand. Go to your dealer, that shouldn’t happen.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You aren’t actually lifting the bike when you place it on the centre stand, that handle should be adequate. Your body weight on the centre stand lever should ease the bike up, you are actually only supporting yourself with your handhold as it moves up and backwards onto the stand. Go to your dealer, that shouldn’t happen.
You’re totally right about that -the main lifting force comes from stepping down on the center stand. The problem is that I employed a poor technique and tried to compensate by gorilla lifting at the plastic handle, which wasn’t having it.

For what it’s worth, I am gonna present the issue to the dealer but I can’t in good conscience try to make this out to be the result of a manufacturer defect. If I over-lean the bike and wipe out in a turn, I can‘t blame the tires. If I grab what is clearly a non-load bearing component and apply 75 pounds of force to it, I shouldn’t be surprised when it breaks. They might replace the part for free or they might charge for a new bracket -I will report back in 300 miles when the 1000 mile service comes due (So hopefully around the middle of next week 😁)

·
Registered
2021 Deadwood (OD) Green PanAm, 2007 Pearl Yellow RK Custom
67 Posts
Right on and maybe HD "upgrades" that bracket on future models or aftermarket addresses it.
I'll add don't pull to hard on handle bar, the wind/debris deflector has a break away connection and when it does you'll lose your balance.😁

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for posting Matt, been grabbing that handle as I place the bike on the center stand since Day 1, now grabbing the passenger foot peg mounting bracket. Agree with all the posts: should be at least aluminum, with luck the aftermarket will come up with a solution. . . I'm not a flyweight, but certainly not a Clydesdale, so been using my weight plus the handle to lift the bike. Interestingly, one of the videos on the release of the Pan America shows a rider demonstrating how to lift the bike after a knock-down by grabbing the hand grip and that handle and lifting the 550 lb. bike back to upright.

Semi-related note - - my wife noted how narrow those grab rails are to the passenger pillion. She is a flyweight (103 lbs. /46 kg.), and while sitting on the seat and grabbing the handrails her hands are right up against her thighs; don't know if anyone else seeing this as an issue, but if the aftermarket makes an upgrade to these rails, hope they stick out a bit further from the seat. However I realize most adventure bikes are ridden solo. . .

Paul

·
Registered
2021 Baja Orange / White Pan America Special
4 Posts
Sorry to hear you broke your bike, but I've been doing the exact same thing from the word go.......

You killed a handle, but saved a handle......You are now square with the universe :ROFLMAO:(y)

Reactions: Matt

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry to hear you broke your bike, but I've been doing the exact same thing from the word go.......

You killed a handle, but saved a handle......You are now square with the universe :ROFLMAO:(y)
I’ll take all the good karma I can get! 😇

1 - 17 of 17 Posts