Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
PAS RA1250S Deadwood Green Spokes & ARH
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Why do you? What's wrong with you? Don't you know how many other fantastic motorcycles are out there from all corners of the globe, even Italy, we're living at the absolute peak of the internal combustion engine, this is it lads and it's all down hill from here, mark my words and yet you ride a Harley. What's that all about? :confused:

Thanks. Dirtglide. [I will give my reasons later, but I'm genuinely interested to appreciate yours] ☮

·
Registered
2021 Deadwood (OD) Green PanAm, 2007 Pearl Yellow RK Custom
175 Posts
I'm brand loyal, dealer network, and when my butt landed on the PA seat and wrist throttled the throttle, SOLD! I also love the looks (and color, green not the other ones😂) of PA compared to all others!

Plus I can't own the beemer, buddy does so I got something to rip him on!😁
Pretty much in a nutshell and up to 2615 happy happy happy miles!

Yeah it's sad that the elites are gonna shove electric down to everyone. But that's all I will say.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's my opener, as it didn't just happen, overnight. This is a snipit of a review what I wrote, after test-riding my first ever Harley-Davidson, you join us, with my wife and I, mid-ride on the A1 (freeway) heading South towards Dunbar.

Why do I ride a Pan American?

It all goes back to Feb 2015, in preparation for a US tour, I’d arranged to test-ride an Electra-Glide Ultra, thanks to Edinburgh H-D.

Around this time, I got slightly carried away with the experience, low traffic and the urge to see how quickly it could go north of 3 digits & with an earth rumbling & yes quite glorious chatter 100mph was duly dispatched and we hurtled along enjoying the straight wide road that a bike like this was designed for and I have to tell you it was pretty bloody enjoyable!

But then comes the Yang to the Ying. I couldn’t help but notice blue flashing lights way off behind us but closing. Speed right down to 65 and hope they pass? Nope it’s me, the king of the highway they’re after alright. I flick a left signal to acknowledge I have well clocked them, and my mirrors go less blue as we tick off the 500m to the layby up ahead. It’s like they planned this you know.

Marnie off, sorry dear, so very sorry¦ WPC approaches from her BMW and suggests I was speeding? Err, well, not sure about that, I reply sheepishly.

Come and have a seat in our nice warm car, she offered. Clocked me at 85mph over distance of 450m by radar. How do I plead to £100 fine & 3 points? Accepting the offer, I did confess that due to the empty road and glorious noise from the stage 1 exhaust that I might have gotten a little carried away as it's a lovely bike. To which they agreed. What is it? Harley Davidson Electra-Glide (in Gold).

Printer error! meant they couldn’t issue the ticket at the roadside, but the report to the procurator fiscal shall reflect that I did cop at the first request and I 'don’t want to go to court! Turns out I’m the first Harley Davidson Electra Glide (in Gold) rider they’ve had in their warm car, which was nice and with that we were allowed to resume our journey the last 15 miles to Dunbar, will we make it? Now back on the road at a much more legal speed, we pass the police heading back north to reset their cunning trap.

It was an interesting conversation when I got back to the dealer and fessed up about getting caught speeding; they were somewhat surprised, but cool with the whole thing in a very decent way, which I did appreciate.

For that brief moment in time, I was a slightly taller, Robert Blake, on an Electra Glide in Gold - not Blue, it was just the mirrors that were blue. :oops:

TBC.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

Speedometer White Motor vehicle Plant Light

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2 Posts
I knew as soon as the concept art was released and they started to drop hints about the engine I was going to be buying one. I've had close to 30 bikes in my life and better than a dozen have been Harleys. I was sold on the PA from the start. I truly hope this engine makes it into more models or variants than the PA and Sportster S. I love old air cooled V-twins but these adventure bike really are swiss army knives of the motorcycle world.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Previously owned a Stage 4 FXDX frame up build, Ohlin's suspension, Brembo brakes, the lot. As great as it was, it just didn't tick the boxes for me.
It is also the biggest heat score on the road haha.

I tried the Pan America a year ago and loved it for the 2000KM I borrowed it for.
Then I was asked to do a work trip riding one in the Mojave desert in November. This sealed the deal for me, it's a bike that can do all I ask of it. As I want to stay brand loyal to H-D.

So for 2022 I had my eyes firmly on a Black PAS with Spoked rims and the full Electronic suspension. 3 weeks ago today I took it home and 2500 KM later I'm still stoked!

It's not absolutely perfect but I knew that when I bought it, but man, she rips, not a single one of my buddies can keep up anymore, no matter the road and conditions. I flick between soft and hard suspension to match the road and speed and it just makes the bike a beast.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I knew then I was hooked.
I live in smallsville, Scotland, so while I can get it, it remains to be seen how it will be in its natural environment. 4 weeks later we picked up a rental Glide Ultra and rode that sucker East to West from Orlando Fl, up through the Gulf, Texas, Vegas, San Fransico and back to LA. Just over 4500 miles in 11 days flat and we had time to party in Mississippi with Denny and the boys from Pineville, as it turned out. Lost a day in Austin Tx, as well I got a hair cut and a beer and then two and then, we lost a day.

Trip of my lifetime, maybe, hope not. I could a done it on a Honda, but would we have been accepted in the same way, probably not and it was nice to adopt that culture and bond with fellow human beings, that and the change of scenery is the best bit about travelling and it doesn't really get much better than travelling on a motorcycle.

I'm sharing photos of that trip; you'll note they start in Russia, that's because we had to catch a flight there before flying onto New York and then Orlando in a 24hr mammoth stint, thanks to Norweigian Air dumping us in Olso, but that's another story!

Hope they raise a smile. Ride safe. (y)
Dirtglide.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts