Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prior to buying my PAS I viewed many YouTube video's as you would expect me to. One of them raised an issue that hasn't affected me until today out on my ride.
The issue is excessive heat from the exhaust burning your leg. Being Summer today I wore my Klim clothing with short motorcycle boots and I cannot tell you how hot my leg got. In the Winter wearing heavier clothing and heavy motorcycle boots it might not be too much of a problem but it certainly is in the Summer.
To solve the problem on the video I watched the motorcyclist had heat shrunk wrapped the exhaust and used longer bolts to refit the heat shield so not too difficult job to do but something I think HD should be addressing given its a brand new design and bike. In this days of litigation I can see HD being having to address personal injury claims unless they resolve this issue.
Anyone else had this problem.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The PA like most HD and other V-twins has heat issues, don't sweat it the aftermarket will come up with something. Before you put exhaust wrap on your pipe read up on the damage it does to the exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The PA like most HD and other V-twins has heat issues, don't sweat it the aftermarket will come up with something. Before you put exhaust wrap on your pipe read up on the damage it does to the exhaust pipe.
Thank you that sounds like great advice. Having never wrapped an exhaust I hadn't realised it could affect it. I also never realised that over heating on a V twin is quite common. Aged 70 I am still learning then. I will as you suggest await the after market to produce a cure for this issue. Thanks again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
roadrash83 someone has suggested getting holes drilled into the heat shield. Its something that was done on export Triumph Bonnevilles with hi level pipes in the 60s. Any thoughts on this idea. Given its under warranty I will see what the dealership say about this idea.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think that actually would allow more heat to come true, HD does have an over priced carbon fiber cover for the heat shield. You might try taking the heat shield off and wrapping the shield and putting back on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again roadrash83 I hadn't thought about wrapping the shield rather than the exhaust. Definitely don't want to pay for an overpriced piece of CF.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think that actually would allow more heat to come true, HD does have an over priced carbon fiber cover for the heat shield. You might try taking the heat shield off and wrapping the shield and putting back on.
Hi again RR83. Because its still a problem and taking your advice on the issues wrapping the exhaust can cause I decided to bite the bullet and buy the Carbon Fibre ( fiber ) part you mentioned. Over here in the UK it cost £55 which if it cn solve te problem is not a too higher price to pay. But will it solve the problem ! I don't know because it fits close to the shield and is just lined with aluminium foil. We will have to wait and see and I will let you know if it does.
I also brought some heat resistant gold tape to stick on the underside of the heat shield but when I tested it under a naked flame it caught a light so I have decided not to use it for now.
Hopefully this will give you an understanding of what I am saying.
Video details - YouTube Studio

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi again RR83. Because its still a problem and taking your advice on the issues wrapping the exhaust can cause I decided to bite the bullet and buy the Carbon Fibre ( fiber ) part you mentioned. Over here in the UK it cost £55 which if it cn solve te problem is not a too higher price to pay. But will it solve the problem ! I don't know because it fits close to the shield and is just lined with aluminium foil. We will have to wait and see and I will let you know if it does.
I also brought some heat resistant gold tape to stick on the underside of the heat shield but when I tested it under a naked flame it caught a light so I have decided not to use it for now.
Hopefully this will give you an understanding of what I am saying.
Video details - YouTube Studio

It's going to be about 2 weeks before I can see it the heat tape on the back of the shield helps. Just got home from hernia surgery. The heat tape hill burn if you put a flame to, but I haven't had burn close to a pipe yet. For shits and giggles I taped the under side front seat and I could feel an Improvement and if nothing else it looks' impressive:whistle:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks RR83. I have put some on the exhaust but I will now fit some to the underside of the heat shield give your advice.
Take it easy with that hernia .As a runner cyclist suffered that myself and its not great. Ted

·
Registered
4 Posts
Salve a tutti, ho ritirato la Pan sabato scorso, e subito il problema della caloria si è presentato in maniera travolgente, vedo che voi state fissando attenzione allo scarico, io ho già montato il paracalore in carbonio e devo dire che non mi lamento del calore dello scarico alla caviglia dx, io mi lamento della quantità di calore che sale dal motore in generale, sia a dx che a sinistra, a sinistra infatti la ventola di raffreddamento incrementa il calore in quantità enorme e lo manda proprio verso le gambe. Io vivo a Napoli Italy, e qui in questi giorni abbiamo una temperatura di oltre 30° e vi assicuro che stare fermo nel traffico o ad un semaforo, è quasi impossibile, sale un calore molto intenso da provocare sensazioni di scottatura ai polpacci ed anche alle gambe in generale, fino ad arrivare al sotto coscia, oggi addirittura, in una giornata con molto traffico, si sono riscaldate anche la gomma delle scarpe dando una sensazione di calore intenso anche alle dita dei piedi, infatti sto pensando di inviare una pec al concessionario chiedendo un vizio di forma, perchè secondo me qui siamo al limite del difetto di fabbricazione, peraltro il concessionario mi ha confermato che la moto riscalda, ma che non vi sono soluzioni da poter prendere. chiedo a tutti di unirci nel fare arrivare a vertici della H-D la ns protesta, per spingere la H-D a cercare delle soluzioni in merito che stanno portando sicuramente danno ad una moto che per le sue caratteristiche è spettacolare. Aspetto Vs commenti

·
Registered
3 Posts
Salve a tutti, ho ritirato la Pan sabato scorso, e subito il problema della caloria si è presentato in maniera travolgente, vedo che voi state fissando attenzione allo scarico, io ho già montato il paracalore in carbonio e devo dire che non mi lamento del calore dello scarico alla caviglia dx, io mi lamento della quantità di calore che sale dal motore in generale, sia a dx che a sinistra, a sinistra infatti la fornitura di raffreddamento incrementale del calore in quantità enorme e il mandato proprio verso le gambe. Io vivo a Napoli Italy, e qui in questi giorni abbiamo una temperatura di oltre 30° e vi assicuro che stare fermo nel o ad un semaforo, è quasi impossibile, sale un calore molto intenso da traffico sensazioni di scottatura ed anche alle gambe in generale, fino ad arrivare al sotto coscia, oggi addirittura, in una giornata con molto traffico, si sono riscaldate anche la gomma delle scarpe dando una sensazione di calore intenso anche alle dita dei piedi, infatti sto pensando di inviare una pec al concessionario concedere un vizio di forma, perchè secondo me qui siamo al limite del difetto di fabbricazione, peraltro il concessionario mi ha confermato che la moto riscalda, ma che non vi sono soluzioni da poter prendere. chiedere a tutti di unirci nel fare arrivare a vertici della HD la ns protesta, per spingere la HD a cercare delle soluzioni in merito che stanno portando danno ad una moto che per le sue caratteristiche è spettacolare. Aspetto vs commenti infatti sto pensando di inviare una pec al concessionario richiedere un vizio di forma, perchè me qui siamo al limite del difetto di fabbricazione, peraltro il concessionario mi ha confermato che la moto riscaldare, ma che non vi sono soluzioni da poter prendere. chiedere a tutti di unirci nel fare arrivare a vertici della HD la ns protesta, per spingere la HD a cercare delle soluzioni in merito che stanno portando danno ad una moto che per le sue caratteristiche è spettacolare. Aspetto vs commenti infatti sto pensando di inviare una pec al concessionario richiedere un vizio di forma, perchè me qui siamo al limite del difetto di fabbricazione, peraltro il concessionario mi ha confermato che la moto riscaldare, ma che non vi sono soluzioni da poter prendere. chiedere a tutti di unirci nel fare arrivare a vertici della HD la ns protesta, per spingere la HD a cercare delle soluzioni in merito che stanno portando danno ad una moto che per le sue caratteristiche è spettacolare. Aspetto vs commenti per spingere la HD cercare delle soluzioni in merito che stanno apportando danno ad una moto che per le sue caratteristiche è spettacolare. Aspetto vs commenti per spingere la HD cercare delle soluzioni in merito che stanno apportando danno ad una moto che per le sue caratteristiche è spettacolare. Aspetto vs commenti
[/CITAZIONE]
Buonasera, anch'io sabato scorso ho ritirato la mia PAN-AM e non appena arrivato in città (vivo in provincia di Bari-Puglia-Italy) ho riscontrato questo fastidioso problema! Credo che dipenda dal fatto che la temperatura arrivi facilmente intoro ai 100/105 gradi (come da indicatore), mentre secondo me dovrebbero cercare di mantenerla nei limiti dei 90/95 gradi. Sinceramente, oltre al calore generale che è tanto, sul lato dx ovvero quello dello scarico, la temperatura è molto più alta. Anch'io pensavo di acquistare il paracalore in carbonio... me lo consigli? Attendo tue!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ciao @PaoloMirizio! Benvenuto nel forum! Se hai problemi di calore con la bici, ti consiglio di farla controllare in concessionaria. Da quanto tempo possiedi la bici?
[/CITAZIONE]
Ciao, da 15 giorni ho ritirato la moto, e già sono ritornato in concessionario, ma non hanno riscontrato problemi alla diagnostica, però hanno anche loro constatato che effettivamente riscalda tantissimo. Se Voi non riscontrate questo problema con le Vostre moto, allora informatemi e ditemi a chi rivolgermi, perchè mi sta venendo il dubbio che non è un problema generalizzato, ma solo della mia moto?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts